Results 1,041 to 1,047 of 1047

Thread: Tools you have bought/want to buy feedback thread

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I have been chasing one of these for about 15 years. I have been deep in the Otways and used one in anger to weld a himount brakeshaft back together and when I did the Madigan 12 years ago 2 of the 4 cars carried one and without it we would have torched a Hilux in the middle of nowhere with a broken strut.

12v/24v mini spool MIG Welder. Facebook marketplace. Stoked. We have it for the Simpson crossing.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd April 2024), mudnut (20th April 2024), PeeBee (21st April 2024), Touses (21st April 2024)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,422 Times in 6,260 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's cool and all but Peebee is bringing a 3 phase welder and a lathe in case we need to machine up some parts

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd April 2024), MudRunnerTD (21st April 2024), PeeBee (21st April 2024), Plasnart (20th April 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    With the many grease nipples on the OKA the idea of laying under the truck struggling to hold the thing onto a nipple whilst struggling to operate a conventional grease gun one handed, holding the whole affair against my body & inevitably getting in a mess held little appeal. To say nothing of the almost inevitable struggle to get the coupler off the nipple when finished.

So I bit the bullet & bought a battery operated grease gun off ebay. It came in the mail during the week & today I bought a quick coupler & tried it for the first time. Greasing under the truck is unlikely to ever be something which brings me joy, but after trying it out this arvo the new grease gun sure put a smile on my face.

Just place the gun on the ground. Clip the coupler on the nipple.
    Move around to observe the grease exiting & then pull the trigger.
    Press lever on the coupler & remove it with ease & no mess.
    As good as i hoped it would be! So easy!

I had wondered about the weight of the gun, it is heavier than a conventional lever grease gun, but having a hose long enough to reach there is no need to hold it whilst in use. Makes so much difference for an old fart like me!

Attachment 87907 Attachment 87908
    The quick coupler is a good investment. Wish there was a slim model for getting into the unijoints and such. I found I had to undo the front drive shaft to get to the grease nipples!
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd April 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,730 Times in 2,681 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    So I have been chasing one of these for about 15 years. I have been deep in the Otways and used one in anger to weld a himount brakeshaft back together and when I did the Madigan 12 years ago 2 of the 4 cars carried one and without it we would have torched a Hilux in the middle of nowhere with a broken strut.

12v/24v mini spool MIG Welder. Facebook marketplace. Stoked. We have it for the Simpson crossing.

They are great, bought one in 1988 and yet to use it in anger apart from rooting around in the backyard testing it. I see yours has a gas bottle - must look at mine to see if it has that flexibility - probably has. I will have an arc welder with me and a lathe and a mill and a spray booth as @Winnie suggests. I am leaving the safety shower at home - need to live dangerously occasionally.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (21st April 2024), MB (23rd April 2024), MudRunnerTD (21st April 2024), Touses (21st April 2024), Winnie (22nd April 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,043 Times in 3,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post

We had a Hilux with a broken strut in the Simpson in 2012, couldn't fix it so he drove it back to Leigh Creek to get a new one.
    P7150067.JPG

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd April 2024), mudnut (22nd April 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,730 Times in 2,681 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that failure was beyond a welder?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPC View Post
    We had a Hilux with a broken strut in the Simpson in 2012, couldn't fix it so he drove it back to Leigh Creek to get a new one.
    P7150067.JPG
    When we were refuelling in Mt Dare for the Madigan there was a young bloke in a shed behind the bouser with a broken strut, they did a runner to Alice for a replacement.

Day 6 on the Madigan half way between Hay River and the Station and the Hilux went missing, went back to find him with the bottom eyelet torn off the strut. Would have been a disaster. We were able to remove the bush, weld the eyelet back on and add gussets to both sides. Worked a treat.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 21st April 2024 at 08:38 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd April 2024), PeeBee (22nd April 2024), TPC (21st April 2024)

Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105