Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry 2011 Auto GU ZD30 getting hot

Gday all

Last year in October i purchased my second ever patrol a 2011 GU ever since i have had it i have had issues with keeping her cool whilst towing, especially around the 80-100km/h area. So i have avoided towing with it. And on Xmas eve she blew the tranny (merry xmas to me). I replaced it with a second hand transmission from a wrecker with 10,000kms on it. I still have same issue 80-100kms temp rapidly climes when towing, Last weekend however i did a trip to kakadu (no trailer) and at 100-105 km/h she started running warm again (there was a decent headwind fyi) it didnt feel like she was working to hard to stay at that speed but i decided to disengage o/d and almost immediately the temp dropped to where it always sits just under half. this happend a few times and always same result. trip home was perfect with tail wind sat between 110-120 (130kmh speedlimit) with little to no effort around 2500rpm and temp did not move once.

I have rebuilt the viscuss hub i have had radiator flushed and checked with a temp camera to ensure radiator is doing its job, and serviced frequently.

All the shops in darwin say its something different i have spent a couple grand chasing this issue and also believe its cost me one transmission already.

Mods wise i have only fitted a provent catch can, it has had since i got it a lift guessing between 2-3", 305/70R16 tyres and a 3" exhaust system, I have been told that its way faster then a normal zd30 should be but a friend checked boost through the computer and it came back at 30psi which we freaked out about but nissan told us that thats includes 15psi atmosphere pressure.

Help me guys before i go broke (to late) or the wife hangs me.

is it the transmission or something else and how the hell do i fix it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is doing the same thing with two different transmissions then I would think that they are probably not the cause of the overheating, but maybe it would be good to fit a transmission cooler? Will certainly help take some heat load away from the cooling system and extend your auto's life.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thebrod For This Useful Post:

altech (11th June 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrod View Post
    If it is doing the same thing with two different transmissions then I would think that they are probably not the cause of the overheating, but maybe it would be good to fit a transmission cooler? Will certainly help take some heat load away from the cooling system and extend your auto's life.
    From what i can see they have a factory cooler and transmission lines run to cooler and through radiator?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't tow in O/D but you def have issues other than that.
    Is the fan shroud in good nick and did you check the fan blades for cracks at the base of the hub?
    Was the Rad simply flushed or was the Rad removed and the Rad core rodded? Flushing does bugger all and the thermo camera won't tell the full story unless under load.
    Block the EGR if you haven't already done so.
    An external tranny cooler will help as well.
    Buy a Scangauge or equivalent, absolutely the best bit of kit for any CRD engine... it will tell you the boost and the also the coolant temp and a myriad of other things.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe check condition of air filter , if it is blocking up it would not help and perhaps clean the maf sensor , if you have only just recently fitted a catch can it might dirty and it could be over fueling . get a scan gauge to read boost ,water temp and clear codes . and consider fitting dawes and needle valves and run boost up to 18psi which will help to keep temps down . if it seems to go really well check to see if it has a chip fitted , is so it might be set to aggresive and overfueling causing it to over heat. lots of info about all of this stuff on this site , so study up on it to work out the best solution for you . also what oil are you useing , if it is to thick it can contribute to overheating , i would not go thicker than 5w/40 . do have a snorkel ?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the condition of the fan hub $135 for a replacement if the old one isnt working. Definitely add EGR Block and an intake/intercooler clean out to the next maintenance you conduct

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have that 70mm section on the bottom of the shroud.
    Getting hot at hwy speeds might be something more sinister.IMHO
    Buy yourself a Scan gauge that might tell you a few tthings. Are you blowing heaps of black smoke
    is the IC oily or have you replaced it with a fully tigged replacement IC
    ONLY do one thing at a time trying to eliminate this problem.
    You might want to read GOATs thread on "over heating 2010 Patrol"
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there