OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rd28 roll starts but wont crank start.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rd28 roll starts but wont crank start.

Hey guys. As the title states the old dirt turtle cranks but wont fire. Took it for a 300km drive and the next day it wouldnt crank start. If you roll start it runs fine no smoke sputtering nothing just a good solid runner. This will be a long list so i appreciate anyone taking the time to read.
    Whats new.
    Engine rebuilt about 1yr ago. Injectors and pump new with rebuild. Same with glow plugs. New 810 cca battery and crank angle sensor. Stater rebuilt 2yr ago.
    What ive checked.
    Fuel at injectors. Direct feed to pump to watch diesel level drop in a clear container. Timing is fine. Filter clean and fairly new. Tank clean. Lift pump solid. Airfilter clean. No egr. Pcv re plumbed to chassis rail and butterfly removed. Zero buildup of gunk in intake. Glow relay tests fine not that old. 12v at rail times out at 5sec. Plugs bench test fine. Coolant temp sensor good and has 5v. Fuel cut solenoid has power and looks okay. Ecm realy swapped. Maf clean. No codes show. Will show if you unplug sensors one at a time but clear after plugging back in. All earths fine. 12v behind ijnition barrel for both constant and ignition power and no drop in test light brightness under cranking. No aftermarket stuff connected.
    Had a auto sparky look at it and he couldnt get it.
    I am out of ideas. Any help is appreciated.
    Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After checking all your electrical connections are clean and tight and If the battery is a wet cell type that has access to the cells, check them all. Check the battery voltage while cranking the engine. If it drops below 8-9volts then it is stuffed or not getting a proper charge.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9.9 10v under cranking

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who rebuilt the starter? Were new bushes installed? If the starter is polling ( the armature rubs on the steel pole pieces) it won't get sufficient speed up to start the engine. It is hard to diagnose until the starter is pulled apart, so leave that till last.
    Last edited by mudnut; 9th June 2019 at 01:16 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starter cranks great with new battery. Brushes were replaced. Local trusted shop that does good work. Will pull it and get that looked at as a last option

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the replys if they are coming through weird my phone keeps redirecting me as im writing posts.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im also having this issue. my pump died about 3 months ago, found a busted keyway in the change over so put in a different bottom end and replaced the pump, i can start it using start ya bastard and she runs mint, but she refuses to fire on her own. near new bosch glow plugs seeing 12v, everything runs as it should, nisbie shows nothing. tomorrow im going to change over all the sensors and hope it works

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try this thread but http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...hings-to-check

Which has a link to a thread about a starting issue.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huggiebear View Post
    im also having this issue. my pump died about 3 months ago, found a busted keyway in the change over so put in a different bottom end and replaced the pump, i can start it using start ya bastard and she runs mint, but she refuses to fire on her own. near new bosch glow plugs seeing 12v, everything runs as it should, nisbie shows nothing. tomorrow im going to change over all the sensors and hope it works

Hey huggiebear, my car is having exact same problem at the moment just wondering what you did to fix it ? Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Addybazz View Post
    Hey huggiebear, my car is having exact same problem at the moment just wondering what you did to fix it ? Cheers
    Welcome to the forum. If you head over to the introductions, you might get a better response from some diesel gurus.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...hings-to-check

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast