Hey Guys,

Looking for some internet advice here :-D

my 1989 GQ TB42 wagon just blew the automatic transmission. Works fine in 1 and 2 but has no drive in 3 (and won't go into 4 obviously).

I have a quote from Wholesale Automatics for a rebuild at $3500 + hard parts. From what I was able to determine, I would still be up for at least another $1k on top of that for the bearings, clutches and bands. I did ask and I was told the $3500 did not include any parts and yes, I specifically asked if the clutches and bands were included and was told no. So the rebuild will be at least $4500, plus freight from rural NSW to Melbourne. (complete HD upgrade to HD torque converter and Nomad valve body was $4500 + hard parts).

I use the GQ as my work vehicle, don't have the funds to go purchase another vehicle as I 'volunteer' as a wildlife nurse which has no pay. And I mean no pay. Not looking for handouts, just advice here :-D

Is it worth the rebuild cost, lets say $5k. If I but another GQ for $5k it will only have the same issues I have been fixing over the past 2 years with mine (new exhaust, steel front bar, new front bearings, headers, all new plugs, leads and most hoses under the bonnet). The body has no rust, only has 2 small dents that I did (silly me) and other than a small carby issue is running fine at 260,000km. Oh, and the transmission issue...

Conversly it a wrecker transmisison worth the risk? I can swap it over mechanically easy enough (the time to do it is another matter) but is it worth the risk? My son is an apprentice mechanic and will come help me if I get stuck (or pretend to so he will come visit...)

or do I just say F-it and get a manual gearbox and swap over all the parts. Downside here is the Mrs can't/won't drive a manual (not that she ever drives my truck but in an emergency..).

I have another vehilce that I can use short term so I am not rushing to get it done this week, but it's an MX5 (my 'race' car weekend/buzzbox) and I do a lot of dirt and rural driving (I support wildlife carers with a veterinary nursing practice and 'work' as an emergency surgical nurse for a wildlife hospital) that the MX5 is not really suitable for (coilovers, track bias set up).

What would you do? And yes I have though about burning it :-D

Cheers

Greg