Thread: Castor correction advice please

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Castor correction advice please

Hi again everybody, well had the wagon in today for it's 60000 service. All's well apart from the advice to get a castor correction kit fitted urgently as it not only trams badly (which I already knew and thoroughly enjoy the terror), but it's also eating the tyres pretty quickly. Dunno why the kit wasn't fitted as part of an Ironman install (had a load of issues with the installer), but I have been quoted $700 for the kit and fitting. Does that sound about right? I've had a 2 inch Ironman lift (springs, shocks, damper and adjustable tie rod). Any and all advice most welcome

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I was going to get correction fitted I would go for the Superior radius arms. Probably end up cheaper in the long run, but it is your money.

It is interesting that you are chopping your tyres out. I ran a 2 inch lift for a couple of years and had no such issues. Just had a good wheel aligner that knew his job.
    Last edited by mudnut; 30th May 2019 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    Hi again everybody, well had the wagon in today for it's 60000 service. All's well apart from the advice to get a castor correction kit fitted urgently as it not only trams badly (which I already knew and thoroughly enjoy the terror), but it's also eating the tyres pretty quickly. Dunno why the kit wasn't fitted as part of an Ironman install (had a load of issues with the installer), but I have been quoted $700 for the kit and fitting. Does that sound about right? I've had a 2 inch Ironman lift (springs, shocks, damper and adjustable tie rod). Any and all advice most welcome
    Sorry? you have a 2" lift only yeah? and someone is telling you you need a $700 Caster Correction? Dont go back to that guy. What are they selling you for $700?

A 2" lift barely needs caster correction and 80% of cars dont have any. it really is an "As Needed" basis for a 2" lift. That being said given your need for a minor correction your options are very very small. Basically you are limited to caster correction bushes in the radius arms only. That is all i would do. If you had 3" lift then go drop boxes IMO. Get another opinion, your being robbed.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why did they fit an adjustable Tie rod? or do you mean Drag link? (Front of front diff is Drag Link).

Consider Radius Arm bushes and also 1 new Rear Brake line. Fit the current rear brake line to the front and chuck the front and the new line to the rear. a 2" lift is the limit for the factory brake lines and under full flex you will be stretching them out.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drop boxes, I’m a nuffy as you may do know MudrunnerTD mate :-) Aint them chunky steel farkers on the front chassis rail rock/log hindering mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry it was drag link (forward of front diff). When I bought the car the suspension had sagged very badly and I had the dreaded wobbles at highway speeds. Went to the local 4x4 centre (Ironman) and was told I needed new springs, steering damper and drag link to correct this . Instead of going for standard springs I could go a 2 inch lift. No problem there. I had the car back and the driving difference was amazing. However, the car trams badly. At this service (at a different mechanic), I asked about the problem. The advice was as above. A castor correction "kit" and 3 hours to fit it. Total of $695 estimate. I did ask about brake line lengths, rear anti-roll bar hangers and the rear brake proportional valve but was told that they didn't need doing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to timbo2410 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (30th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    $160 for offset bushes From patrolapart. I retract what I posted earlier, but I don't like the idea of these offset bushes. Anyway labour to do the job is always expensive.

As for the proportional valve, I made a bracket and fitted it with the lift. Easy as. A length of steel 3mm by 25mm strap and drill 4 holes.
    Last edited by mudnut; 30th May 2019 at 11:41 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (30th May 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Drop boxes, I’m a nuffy as you may do know MudrunnerTD mate :-) Aint them chunky steel farkers on the front chassis rail rock/log hindering mate?

Hi mate, i have them on Both my cars. They are Awesome. I have Never been hung up on them, its a Myth. They transform the car.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (30th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your beast needs to go in mate if it’s “Traming” suspecting that means running out of carish tarmac lines?
    Which tyres you running good bloke ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry it was drag link (forward of front diff). When I bought the car the suspension had sagged very badly and I had the dreaded wobbles at highway speeds. Went to the local 4x4 centre (Ironman) and was told I needed new springs, steering damper and drag link to correct this . Instead of going for standard springs I could go a 2 inch lift. No problem there. I had the car back and the driving difference was amazing. However, the car trams badly. At this service (at a different mechanic), I asked about the problem. The advice was as above. A castor correction "kit" and 3 hours to fit it. Total of $695 estimate. I did ask about brake line lengths, rear anti-roll bar hangers and the rear brake proportional valve but was told that they didn't need doing.
    I am not really a fan of Caster Correction bushes either to be honest. Factory rubber bushes for me all day. But, you have very little choice here. at a 2" lift there is simply no other way to do any caster correction other than new radius arms which are expensive and overrated for a 2" lift. Accept that the bushes will chew out and you will be replacing them fairly often.

Call your local Pedders and ask them for a price over the phone for radius arm bushes on a Patrol fitted. or call any 4x4 shop and get a price.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (30th May 2019)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast