Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZD30 CRD possible fuel starving loss of power problem with no codes

Hi All,

Still ongoing with the fuel starvation , losing power intermittent issue.

Need some help , can’t be the first one on here , and it’s doing my head in , I need this vehicle to be reliable as I travel all over outback WA for work and right now I don’t trust it to drive around town ....

For info the car drives fine then when ever it wants it loses power , no throttle response , just like air in the system or no fuel pressure , then it picks up again and either goes back to normal or keeps randomly doing it for the rest of the trip.

When it’s not doing it , the power and torque are normal.

I dropped the tank today , checked the hoses at the tank, pulled the pick up out and checked it , found nothing wrong.
    Yesterday I bypassed the filter and it kept doing it.

Q. Could it be the pressure relief in the rail ? But the fault comes and goes ?

Or could it be the lift pump ?? should I fit a external fuel pump to help it ??

The only codes I have previously had were for the maf sensor , throttle body and throttle pedal which I replaced with no dramas since .

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is no lift pump in these. only the injector pump. some people do fit lift pumps to aid in starting and make it easier on the injector pump though.

if the pressure reliefe valve were failing im it would only onpen (relieve the pressure) when the rail pressure gets really high. sometimes they can stick open and that'll cause hard to start.

see you say you had codes for throttle pedal, nissan warranty had a saftery recall out to replace the pedal assembly.

check your vacuum lines. seen alot where the line to the turbo actuator cracks but i would expect that to present symptoms all the time not intermittently.

also been told to always use genuine fuel filters. if your running after market (non genuine) id sway back to genuine.
    its ok to add a good quality secondary filter to the system though and there is still no need for lift pumps..

also have seen a rag in a fuel tank once, intermittently would block the pickup pipe in the tank. he was as shocked as we were to see a old shirt sleeve in the tank.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fireblade,

According to Nissan all recalls on my vehicle have been done , I was hoping they hadn’t to get out of buying the parts but not that lucky,

There is no trouble starting or idling.

I have run all new vac lines to the turbo when I added the boost controller and needle valve , the problem was there before doing this as well.

The problem was still there after I bypassed the filter with an inline one.

There was nothing in the tank , I pulled the spring loaded thing off the bottom off the suction line and pulled it apart but everything looked good.

Got me stumped.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R055IE View Post

For info the car drives fine then when ever it wants it loses power , no throttle response , just like air in the system or no fuel pressure , then it picks up again and either goes back to normal or keeps randomly doing it for the rest of the trip.

When it’s not doing it , the power and torque are normal.
    \ Mate, to me this has limp mode written all over it, usually caused by overboosting. You lose throttle response , and once you're OFF the throttle it resets its self until next time it gets triggered again.
    \ Do you have a boost gauge ???
    2005 TD42TI

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Bidja (26th May 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The boost is set to approx 20psi , but it may spike a bit as it spools up pretty quick

When does limp mode kick in ?

Will go out and drop it a bit and see what happens
    Last edited by R055IE; 25th May 2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Adding info

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reduce your boost a bit. As above ^^^^^^ - Sounds like limp mode. It apparently varies, but my Patrol went in to limp mode above 15 PSI until I modified it.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All ,
    So I adjusted the boost down , it now runs at around 15psi , it spiked to around 17psi between gear changes and runs
    10-12 psi at 100 km.

Looking at it now I think it may have been spiking to around 25 psi or so , my gauge only goes to 20psi.

It did run with the fault after I adjusted it and drove it out my driveway (about 150m) to test it , but once on the road and opened up it ran faultless, will keep on it hopefully it’s as simple as this , fingers crossed

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R055IE For This Useful Post:

Bidja (26th May 2019), Hodge (25th May 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear! You may have a sticky ball valve in the boost controller as well. If it persists open the valve and clean the ball.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

False alarm, started playing up straight away this morning just idling out of the driveway, then drove about 8km without issue and then started, worse its ever been, drove the rest of the way to work (about 10km of dirt roads) at about 50km/h no throttle response , dying like no fuel, no codes as usual.

?????

Thanks Bill, but this problem was around before fitting the boost controller, fitting it was a suggested fix previously..

has to be something simple or rattling or something , cant see anything unusual.

temped to run a pump at the tank to pressurize the inlet but don't want to keep wasting money , should I do it anyway ??? Any thoughts are more than appreciated...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you changed the fuel filter? When/If you do, cut the old one open and see if it has picked up any muck out of your tank.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast