User Tag List

Thread: Lithion battery bulk buy

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been running a 100a/h LifePo4 for just over 5 years now, its been used and abused and still as good as the day I bought it. I used to charge it via a Redarc BCDC-1225-LV as back when I bought it there was no such thing as a lithium specific DC charger. The Redarc on the Gel profile was good enough for just on 5 years, but I had to constantly reboot it to force it into boost mode to give the battery a charge up to 14.6v. I've recently changed over to an Enerdrive EN3DC40+ charger, this gives me up to 50 amps of charge and gets the battery up to full much quicker than the old redarc. After a full charge, the enerdrive drops back to 13.5 volts and enters power supply mode, detecting loads on the battery and responding accordingly. The Enerdive also has a lithium specific charge profile and user selectable charge voltages etc, I highly recommend this unit based on my limited experience so far with it.

I can run my battery down to 80% DOD with no problems and it is enough for my needs, powering a 90 litre dual zone fridge and lighting etc. The lifepo4 will take every amp I can throw at it when charging. I bought mine from EV power in WA, along with their cell management system, called BCUPPAK-4. The battery weighs 14 kg's and lives in the back beside the drawers. I also have additional HV/LV shutoffs as a backup in case the battery management system fails. It was an expensive setup when I first went down this path, but its proved it's worth and I'd never use anything else now. The battery and cell management cost me $1100 back then, additional components, charger/victron BMV-702 etc, set me back another grand.

This was my set up in a previous vehicle, where I made a set of drawers with a cavity in front for the battery/charger/distribution block/compressor etc. I've gone a different route with the patrol and it's tucked away beside the drawers.

Last edited by stevemc181; 23rd May 2019 at 11:13 PM.
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (23rd May 2019), Cuppa (24th May 2019), GQtdauto (24th May 2019), Hodge (24th May 2019), jack (24th May 2019), PeeBee (24th May 2019), Rossco (24th May 2019), threedogs (25th May 2019)