OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Soft shackles. Anyone using them?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, the general rule of thumb is the SWL is 20% of the minimum breaking strength for most applications. We should not really be using breaking strength to work out how these should be used safely. And that also assumes no other negative factors such as sharp corners which do not just cause mis-shaping of the item resulting in lowering its strength, but could also physically damage it.
    I think these soft shackles need to be used well within their SWL. The steelies have been around for ages with literally millions in use in various applications and very few failures (of decent rated ones) when used within their SWL. I hope history proves the soft shackles to be (at least) as good.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would NOT recommend using these on any of my recovery points.
    my points were designed for latch lok hooks or a suitable shackle.
    I would think they would be OK for the pin in the hitch receiver.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

4. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (4th June 2019)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 768 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th June 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use a different knot to this as this has the potential to invert as the tails allow it to roll out. The evolved version buries the tails back into the knot which is a great upgrade.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I leave about 1 inch of tail, tease out the braid and melt the tails together and quickly roll them on a flat surface so they end up like a mushroom against the body of the knot... only way the knot is going to roll, invert or come loose is with a tactical nuke

A mate prefers to leave his tails long and then does a figure 8 whipped finish thru the tails.
    He likes that method as it leaves a bit to grab on to if the knot snugs up tight.
    He reckons pulling back on the tail breaks the grip of the sliding part of the shackle

I've not had that issue and I prefer my way (bit of venetian blind cord down the sliding section) but each to their own.

Edit... I've also seen softies with an inch or two of heatshrink up against the knot on the "shackle" side.
    School of thought is that it does two things, siezes the two lengths prior to the knot and strengthens the point that the loop binds down upon and prevents chafing.

Makes sense but I like to be able to see that part as it def is the part that wears and I chuck 'em away when it gets damaged/frays in that area
    Last edited by the evil twin; 8th June 2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FWIW... I have only ever seen two areas that fail on softies.
    The inside area of the loop that seizes up against the knot.
    The area of the double hard up against the knot that gets "worked" as the shackle loads/unloads.

Never seen a knot let go and never seen a break other than at the two areas mentioned BUT thats not to say it won't/can't happen... just never seen it myself
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456