OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Soft shackles. Anyone using them?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New to nuffy me these lightweight soft shackle rippers John mate and do like the idea of that extra abrasion protection wrap dinga stuff over them pictured.
    Not sure what its called but seems to come also on the Aussie ‘Whittams’ rope prepackaged lines we’ve been buying somewhat locally in Victoriastan. @rusty_nail mate are you still keen to help us kindly build a thread/poll/weekend for learning these new skills homemade?
    We can chat with Whittams for decent bulk spools hopefully at the right price as we’re looking to again buy some pallets of work poly rolls etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    New to nuffy me these lightweight soft shackle rippers John mate and do like the idea of that extra abrasion protection wrap dinga stuff over them pictured.
    Not sure what its called but seems to come also on the Aussie ‘Whittams’ rope prepackaged lines we’ve been buying somewhat locally in Victoriastan. @rusty_nail mate are you still keen to help us kindly build a thread/poll/weekend for learning these new skills homemade?
    We can chat with Whittams for decent bulk spools hopefully at the right price as we’re looking to again buy some pallets of work poly rolls etc...

Ohhhh! Whitham rope is the bomb mate. Let me know..... keen on a spare rope and maybe for something for the himount I have in the shed for the GU.

Great way to make a winch extension rope too.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd June 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The sheath is 50/50 in my opinion. In very dirty conditions you can't see how much mud is under there. We used my home made 12mm soft shackles yesterday. Worked amazing. Was great to be able to see the rope without a sheath.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd June 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post

Nice one MB! I was chatting to Darren this weekend and we were saying that at about 2.5m of 10mm rope per soft shackle, 30m would get you at least 3 shackles and a 20m extension strap which would be awesome! Heaps better than the usual extension straps I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd June 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds exciting Blokes, where to from here, marquee is bought and ready for some mountain craft lessons, just need some teachers whom know how to school?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (2nd June 2019), Winnie (2nd June 2019)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went and removed all my steel shackles, then jumped under the front and fed a soft shackle thru a recovery point. Not sure the softie would like being yanked on thru the recovery point as it has right angle edges on the hole. Same with the recovery point I use in my towbar.

I've thrown 1 steel shackle back in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Not sure the softie would like being yanked on thru the recovery point as it has right angle edges on the hole. Same with the recovery point I use in my towbar.
    I agree totally. I an very wary about using them, even with a sheath, anywhere where there are metal corners that are not well rounded and smooth - that cannot be good for them, and must mean we should at least de-rate them in such circumstances. Just seems to be asking for trouble.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FWIW...
    Soft shackles are 4 times the material (IE the single rope is doubled and doubled again) and by far the weakest point is the knot which I allocate as 50% of B.S. so, based on my experience with them on vessels over many years I rate my homemade Softies as follows;

For winching, rigging, redirects, towing etc IE non-kinetic applications 2 x B.S. ...That means 20 tons for 10mm, 15 tons for 8mm and 8 tons for 6mm (I don't use 30 ton 12mm for winching as there is no point)

For snatching IE kinetic applications 1 x B.S. ... that means 15 tons for 12mm, 10 tons for 10mm and 6 tons for 8mm (I don't use 6mm for kinetics)

Given most 4by Winches are 4 to 5 tons max line pull IE 8,000Lb to 12,000Lb and snatchies usually 8,000 Lb (less than or around 4 ton for 4X ) the winch stalls out or the snatchie lets go.

I tend to use 8mm (occasionaly 10mm) for snatching and 6 or 8mm for winching/towing/dragging.

Sooo... I carry 2x10mm, 2x8mm and 4x6mm (2 short and 2 long) in my "touring recovery kit"
    I have a couple of lengths of random sheath (3 or 4 inches long) that I slide over the softie for use on recovery points with sharp edges if I can be bothered.

Bottom line is in most applications the softie is operating at under 1/4 to maybe 10% B.S. of the line it is made from...or 4 times to 10 times safety factor if you like... plus Dyneema is bloody tough so any metal edge has to be pretty damn sharp to cut it and even a few coats of paint or a slightest chamfer and the softie doesn't even notice it.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd June 2019)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    FWIW...
    Soft shackles are 4 times the material (IE the single rope is doubled and doubled again) and by far the weakest point is the knot which I allocate as 50% of B.S. so, based on my experience with them on vessels over many years I rate my homemade Softies as follows;

For winching, rigging, redirects, towing etc IE non-kinetic applications 2 x B.S. ...That means 20 tons for 10mm, 15 tons for 8mm and 8 tons for 6mm (I don't use 30 ton 12mm for winching as there is no point)

For snatching IE kinetic applications 1 x B.S. ... that means 15 tons for 12mm, 10 tons for 10mm and 6 tons for 8mm (I don't use 6mm for kinetics)

Given most 4by Winches are 4 to 5 tons max line pull IE 8,000Lb to 12,000Lb and snatchies usually 8,000 Lb (less than or around 4 ton for 4X ) the winch stalls out or the snatchie lets go.

I tend to use 8mm (occasionaly 10mm) for snatching and 6 or 8mm for winching/towing/dragging.

Sooo... I carry 2x10mm, 2x8mm and 4x6mm (2 short and 2 long) in my "touring recovery kit"
    I have a couple of lengths of random sheath (3 or 4 inches long) that I slide over the softie for use on recovery points with sharp edges if I can be bothered.

Bottom line is in most applications the softie is operating at under 1/4 to maybe 10% B.S. of the line it is made from...or 4 times to 10 times safety factor if you like... plus Dyneema is bloody tough so any metal edge has to be pretty damn sharp to cut it and even a few coats of paint or a slightest chamfer and the softie doesn't even notice it.
    So ET, I have 2 questions for you.

1 - I'm guessing BS doesn't stand for the BS I'm thinking it does?
    2 - And I know this will be only your opinion and blah blah, but do you / would you use soft shackles with your recovery points? (I respect your opinion by the way).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    So ET, I have 2 questions for you.

1 - I'm guessing BS doesn't stand for the BS I'm thinking it does?
    2 - And I know this will be only your opinion and blah blah, but do you / would you use soft shackles with your recovery points? (I respect your opinion by the way).
    B.S. = Breaking Strain... BS = 90% of the Internet

Only places I use rated steel shackles are Snatch Blocks sometimes and I like Bow Shackles in Billet Hitches 'cause I like the way the rigging sits in the Bow but these days I will usually attach a Strap or whatever to the Bow with a Soft Shackle or ditto on a Vehicle that has the Shackles already on the Recovery Point.

FWIW I have the Pin tight in the Bow Shackle on my hitch so would need a spanner to undo it as all Shackle Manufacturers state a rated shackle is only rated if the Pin is nipped up not finger tight and/or backed off... it also means the shackle is still there after a day in the scrub and the pin hasn't rotated out.

Another thing to remember for a win on Trivia Night is a Bow Shackle W.L.L. rating is specified along the axis and reduces if the load comes from an angle (70% W.L.L. for 45 deg and 50% of W.L.L. for 90 degrees) like some recovery points that need the shackle pin thru the point.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 3rd June 2019 at 04:08 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast