OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P Bob Hawk. You Sir where a Legend!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

R.I.P Bob Hawk. You Sir where a Legend!

From the Age Melbourne.

Bob Hawke, one of the nation's greatest public figures and a hero of the Australian Labor Party, has died on the eve of an election the former prime minister just one day ago predicted would be won by the party he led for nearly a decade.

The Labor legend died aged 89 on Thursday surrounded by family in his Sydney home, drawing to a close one of the most significant chapters in Australian political history.

"Today we lost Bob Hawke, a great Australian – many would say the greatest Australian of the post-war era," his wife, Blanche d'Alpuget, said in a statement.

"Bob was dearly loved by his family, and so many friends and colleagues. We will miss him.

"The golden bowl is broken."

Mr Hawke's death has rocked the federal election campaign. The former Labor leader, who was prime minister from 1983 to 1991, on Wednesday wrote an open letter to Australians backing Opposition Leader Bill Shorten to win Saturday's election against Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

In a statement on Thursday night, Mr Shorten said Mr Hawke was a "leader of conviction – and a builder of consensus".

"In Australian history, in Australian politics, there will always be B.H. and A.H: Before Hawke and After Hawke. After Hawke, we were a different country. A kinder, better, bigger and bolder country," Mr Shorten said.

"The Australian people loved Bob Hawke because they knew Bob loved them, this was true to the very end.

"At our Labor launch I told Bob we loved him, I promised we would win for him. I said the same to him the next day at his home, when I visited.

Hawke backs Shorten as 'consensus' leader in new open letter

"I gave the man who inspired me to go into politics a gentle hug, I tried to tell him what he meant to me, what he meant to all of us. I couldn’t quite find the right words, few of us can, when we’re face to face with our heroes.

"But Bob knew. He knew what he meant to Australia, he knew what he had achieved for the country. He knew he was loved, right to the end."

Paul Keating, who served as treasurer under Mr Hawke and defeated him in a leadership ballot to become prime minister in 1991, said the death also represented the passing of "a partnership we formed with the Australian people".

"Bob possessed a moral framework for his important public life, both representing the workers of Australia and more broadly, the country at large," Mr Keating said on Thursday night.

"Bob, of course, was hoping for a Labor victory this weekend. His friends, too, were hoping he would see this."

Mr Hawke will be laid to rest in a private service to be attended by Ms d'Alpuget and his children. A memorial service will be held in Sydney in coming weeks.

"Bob Hawke and Paul Keating and their governments modernised the Australian economy, paving the way for an unprecedented period of recession-free economic growth and job creation," Ms d'Alpuget said.

"Bob’s consensus-style approach of bringing together the trade union movement and the business community boosted job opportunities while increasing the social wage through Medicare and extra financial support for low-income families.

OBITUARIES
    Labor's golden boy who transformed a nation

"Together with his highly talented cabinets, he foresaw the Asian Century and positioned Australia to take full advantage of it through a program of sweeping economic reforms.

"Among his proudest achievements were large increases in the proportion of children finishing high school, his role in ending apartheid in South Africa, and his successful international campaign to protect Antarctica from mining.

"He abhorred racism and bigotry. His father, the Reverend Clem Hawke, told Bob that if you believed in the Fatherhood of God then you must also believe in the Brotherhood of Man. Bob would add today the Sisterhood of Women."

That is All. RIP Sir...
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Chubba (16th May 2019), Cuppa (16th May 2019), Eatmyshortz (17th May 2019), MB (17th May 2019), mudnut (17th May 2019), Plasnart (16th May 2019), Rossco (16th May 2019), Woof (16th May 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah what a bloody ledgend RIP Bob.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,002 Times in 3,397 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I respected Bob Hawke immensely; the man - come union rep - come politician - come prime minister for his courage to say it as he saw it, and to lay open his soul to the public with his heart on his sleeve, lay open his vulnerabilities (of which there were many), and his ability to bring people with him on his vision for the future of our country. That, in my eyes is a leader of the highest integrity and skill. He was one who strove for everyone, big and small; for the country in its entirety. You must benefit all for all to benefit.

Today's political leaders should reflect on this encompassing style of leadership which, although now virtually extinct, is proven to to deliver the best result for the nation and its populace as a whole.

The socially and idealogically divisive nature of politics today only drives us all further apart. That is weak leadership and pathetic politics.

I'm not a rusted on Labor voter. Far from it in fact. But RIP Bob Hawke and thank you for all you did.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (17th May 2019), MudRunnerTD (17th May 2019), Rossco (17th May 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the last of the "genuine Australian politicians" who actually cared for this country and it's people. The current lot have no idea, and are only in the game for themselves. I'm very sad that the current younger generation ( my son included ) will never experience just how good this country once was, and probably will never be again. RIP Bob.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

Rossco (17th May 2019), rusty_nail (17th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is the only politician I actually liked. Gunna be a bloody long time until we get someone who could fill his shoes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Rossco (17th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob was PM when we arrived shiny white from the UK in '87. He encapsulated all we had envisaged about our new country. A good man down. A true legend. Vale Bob Hawke.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Woof (17th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    member Bob Hawke well being the member for Wills ,even remember the ballot paper when he first ran for office.
    Last of the true Politicians
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

14. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Woof (17th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RIP Legend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Medicare.png

Think on this when you have the pencil in your hand today
    Last edited by Cuppa; 18th May 2019 at 10:44 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Medicare.png

Think on this when you have the pencil in your hand today
    What's that got to do with the party of today?

Vote H.E.M.P.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Bob (18th May 2019), growler2058 (19th May 2019), Maxhead (18th May 2019), TPC (18th May 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast