Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB45 cam position sensor wiring

G'day all,

I am wiring in a EMS Stinger 4425 V4 on a 1999 GU TB45 and am unsure of the trigger and home signal wires. There is two wires coming from the trigger wheel sensor on the distributor, Blue and white black. My manual does not indicate which is which and cannot find any info elsewhere - can anyone here who has fitted a piggyback ecu advise?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do a forum search on 'Tb45 distributor wiring code' and you'll find the thread where I posted the wiring diagrams for the TB45E distributor.

It's been a while but when I added an Xede piggyback to my TB45E, I did all my connections/splicing on the ECU, not on the distributor.
    Last edited by jff45; 4th May 2019 at 06:37 AM.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

watts (4th May 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John,

I have had a look at your post, but still shows the same. two wires coming from the cam sensor in the distributor.

Will have to try and see how I go! 50% chance of getting it right... Thanks for the reply

Cheers!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello out there,

Does anyone know if you need to change the trigger wheel in TB45 distributor when going piggyback ecu? Or will standard setup provide sync and trigger signals ok?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on the piggyback. The Xede doesn't need it but the Megasquirt systems did.

I don't mean to put a dampener on your efforts but you won't get much of a result from a normally aspirated TB45E using a piggyback ECU. They need forced induction to get them moving but that means getting the bottom end a bit stronger. The disadvantage there is that you'll need deep pockets for the fuel bill..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, I see by your earlier posts you have already been down a similar path that I am on! I have owned my GU for six years now and has been a work in progress the whole time. It is not my daily drive, I only use it for the odd trip up north, maybe two or three times a year, and yes it is a thirsty beast! Especially into a headwind!
    I bought it with 4 inch lift ARB roof and Steel bar. Was on gas. Motor and exhaust standard. I have been chasing more power or better economy - or both - and have done all the usual, rebuilt motor, extractors and exhaust, rebuilt the trans and fitted a transgo kit. Also have lowered it to 2 inch lift, removed gas system and fitted long range tank.
    Everything I have done improved things a little but nothing dramatic.
    I was considering an engine swap but last year I came across a fella wrecking a GQ TB42E with turbo setup on it for a good price. I bought the manifold (mandrel extractor type not cast) EMS 4424 V4, ignitor, 3 coil setup and sourced 370cc injectors for it.
    I have had the turbo setup and running on standard ecu, last week started setting up the EMS stinger. Was going insane as could get no spark, triple checked everything, believed I had done something wrong with the trigger/sync from the camshaft pos sensor, but ended up discovering the EMS unit I bought is faulty, its supplying voltage from the EMS ecu to all sensor pickups, eg trigger and sync getting 7.5volts, TPS and coolant temp getting 4.5 volts....as i am piggybacking off factory setup the EMS unit should be reading off the factory supplied voltages....Spoke to Manuel at EMS yesterday and I will be sending it to them to test/repair.
    I was hesitant in going down this path but in theory with low boost should be a good thing, I have done a lot of research and there are mixed results.
    I see you changed out your TB45 for a TD42, did you ever run the TB45 with the turbo setup on it, your thread was very useful info but was an antclimax at the end?
    Cheers