Thread: possible re-route-plumb?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

possible re-route-plumb?

hi anyone toyed around with having a return line from a catch can to the crank case? basically looking for an alternative/temporary measure whilst deciding what to do with the crank case breathing so heavily/mass blowby.... figured if i can re-route caught oil back to the crank case i can save myself some effort on continually topping it up and so on. anyone know if this can be done on the zd30di?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the oil you'd collect from a catch can would be enough to keep the oil level up if it's using it. It definitely wouldn't be worth the hassle.

I had a think about it one day and you'd need to have a return valve that's closed when it's running and opens when the engine is off. Not overly difficult. Just not worth the hassle imo.

It sounds like you'll have to fix whatever is wrong sooner rather than later if it's that bad anyway..

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-TJ-0 View Post
    I don't think the oil you'd collect from a catch can would be enough to keep the oil level up if it's using it. It definitely wouldn't be worth the hassle.

I had a think about it one day and you'd need to have a return valve that's closed when it's running and opens when the engine is off. Not overly difficult. Just not worth the hassle imo.

It sounds like you'll have to fix whatever is wrong sooner rather than later if it's that bad anyway..
    the only oil its using is coming out the pcv, so this system would be putting it right back where it comes from, but yeah and i will be doing it as a tidy up and flipping the car, over it... never again, love everything about my troll except everything to do with the engine.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its been done plenty of times before but not worth the hassle IMO. You also need to put a non return valve into the return line to the sump. How much oil is your can catching? My old ZD used to get 125ml between a 5k oil change.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Its been done plenty of times before but not worth the hassle IMO. You also need to put a non return valve into the return line to the sump. How much oil is your can catching? My old ZD used to get 125ml between a 5k oil change.
    over 1L per 1000km

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rikta View Post
    over 1L per 1000km
    Yikes! I think you have other issues to be concern about to be honest.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah hence flicking the car off, just want to tidy it up a wee bit before hand... and I am NEVER going even so much as into the same carpark as a ZD30 ever again.

I want to make this 100% clear, I WILL NOT be keeping this car, not for love nor money. this is purely to keep it from being an oily mess so I can pass it on.