Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 770 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this job is done and dusted.

I read the manual and found there's a drain plug in the thermostat housing. I found this, but saw it was inbetween the radiator and the thermostat, so no point in removing it. Went & looked at removing the thermostat, but what I could see looked like nothing in any photos of other ZD30 thermo housings I saw on Google etc, it looked totally different, that combined with the risk of snapping and/or seized bolts and how bloody hard it was going to be get it off, I decided to leave it.

In the end I ran 2 lots of demineralised wiater through the radiator and everything else and drained it all out, the last drain I got 9 litres out, so I was happy enough with that.

Everything I read said the cooling system holds 14 litres, so 14 - 9 = 5 litres of coolant left inside. So I put in about 4 litres of coolant concentrate and 4 litres of demineralised water and left the spare litre for when it all settled down. Topping up today with demineralised water.

Drove today for an hour on the way to work and everything looked fine temperature wise.

Things I learnt, next time I'll get the pro's to do it thoroughly. Pouring the water/coolant in slowly works much better than flooding it in, I found I hardly needed to do any 'burping' of the system. Lots about the cooling system.

Thanks everyone for the help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (13th May 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used the reverse air pressure of the shop vac to blow out the last couple of litres of our Falcon. Had to be careful not to completely seal up the vac hose so it didn't over pressurise the system. Got a fair bit of gunk out too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123