Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Warped disc rotors ?

For a while now, I noticed what I'd call a pulsating feel through the brake pedal when coming to a halt. I'm unsure, but I feel like the issue is exacerbated when coming to a halt from higher speed ,e.g. coming off a freeway.
    For ages I disregarded it and put it down to bad vibration off the road and the vibration I had from a bad engine mount (which is now replaced).

Over the past week I've sort of felt it worsen after a high country trip. So, I figured I'd pay some attention to it.

I'm super naive with brakes and have refused to tinker with them my self. I had the front on stands today , wheels off & I had a look without taking much off and to me everything spins "ok". The sound of rotors ever so gently rubbing against the pads is even and no noticeable differences round the clock.
    This is without taking the calipers or anything else off ( as i don't know how to). I also checked the wheel bearings and all seems good. Even with the wheel on, 12 to 6 o'clock shake had NO movement. Pads are ok, as I had that and fluids replaced a few months ago.

Is there any way I can somehow confirm it is the rotor/s my self or is it off to mechanics for a rotor off to have a proper look ???

PS. If it is the rotors, this could smell like one of those 4.8 upgrades. Possibly. Maybe. I don't know .
    2005 TD42TI

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like rotors to me,depending on the thickness they could do with a skim.
    Get an on-site on car disc machine done.

Proud BTrol Owner
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

Hodge (22nd April 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the same symptoms mate. Only very minor. I assume mine is the rotors.

Far as I'm aware you won't necessarily be able to "see" any defects. Might be able to check them with a dial indicator but I wouldn't bother. Last time I had a set machined it wasn't expensive.. like $20 or something. Try that and troubleshoot if you're still having dramas after.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (22nd April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Hodge

When my rotors were suss, I would get a slight pulsating feel in the pedal while solid descending into hard corner on sealed surface up the mnts. My bearings were good / pads were 70% left.

I changed them out with DBA slotted rotor and new pads. Pretty cheap these days. Could have used the old pads but put in shed in case.

Machining is fine, but if rotors have hot spots, which may not necessarily be evident and can cause problem again after machining.
    Can check rotors for run out with a dial indicator but the time involved will cost. Depends what suits you and the cost will give you a direction.

May be worth checking wheel bearing end play (nipping up) but most likely be the rotors mate.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

Hodge (22nd April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had exactly the same symptoms. Needed new pads so decided to replace the rotors as well, issue gone and greatly improved stopping.
    Be very careful before electing to have the rotors machined on car, have a look a previous post by Cuppa. Pearcey provided some excellent advice on this and he’s speaking from experience.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Disc-Machining
    Last edited by jack; 22nd April 2019 at 03:58 PM.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (22nd April 2019), Hodge (22nd April 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the heads up folks! Some good reading in Cuppas thread.

Spoke to one of the blokes from out high country trip, and he brought up a good point which could explain why my issue got worse after that weekend.
    One of the track descends we done, was super steep and super long. My 1st gear 4L motor braking just didn't cut it, so I did ride the brakes a fair bit. I completely forgot about this!

Hmmm. Now, to look at new rotors while its all apart or just get it machined. Decisions.
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Thanks for the heads up folks! Some good reading in Cuppas thread.

Spoke to one of the blokes from out high country trip, and he brought up a good point which could explain why my issue got worse after that weekend.
    One of the track descends we done, was super steep and super long. My 1st gear 4L motor braking just didn't cut it, so I did ride the brakes a fair bit. I completely forgot about this

Hmmm. Now, to look at new rotors while its all apart or just get it machined. Decisions.
    Especially when you are riding the brakes and then hit a puddle or do a river crossing. The cold against the hot metal can warp things. I got my discs machined pre TB upgrade and from memory it cost $70 an end, and he came to me and did it in the driveway. He smoked about 30 ciggies per wheel too. Lol.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (23rd April 2019), Yeti's Beast (23rd April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Hodge also check your wheel bearings , if loose a little
    bit will give you that warped brake feeling
    Last edited by threedogs; 22nd May 2019 at 07:22 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Hodge mate the front disks are pretty easy but have a wheel bearing internally. Look at my CV rebuild thread ans ther are great pics from go to getting the disk off. It might be viable to take the opportunity to do a swivel hub rebuild and new wheel bearings while doing the disks IMO.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have a look at the first page of this thread for the diagram.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Rebuild-Thread

You could take it all off and unbolt the disk from the hub without touching the bearing carrier if you thought your front end was still OK. But it does have to come 0ff.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast