Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2007 Nissan Patrol (3.0 Diesel) - 120km Service

Hi All,

I purchased my 2007 Nissan Patrol (3.0 Diesel) about 6 months ago and today I took it for its first service since owning the vehicle (120km service).

When I collect the car a little later, I will probably have a few questions to post regarding the outcome of service as I would like to get to know my vehicle and local mechanic a bit better.

As mentioned above, i would like to get to know my vehicle better (first time ive owned a 4x4) and hopefully some of the experienced 4x4'ers could help me with questions i may have.

Hopefully I'm posting in the correct forum section?

Cheers,
    Robbie
    Last edited by Robbie_p; 15th April 2019 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Got my vehicle back after its 120km service. The service cost $690 and they did everything required, such as replacing fluids and filters etc.

The also mentioned the below 3 items, which werent urgent, but should be looked at in the next few months:

1: L/H Rear axle oil seal starting to leak, will need seal and grease to be replaced ($550). He said if i leave it it could get all over brakes etc and becomes a bigger job.
    2: Front wheel bearings needs seal and grease replaced ($450). He said while im doing the above, i might as well get this done.

Both the above they would require vehicle for 2 days as i think they axle gets worked on by someone else?

3: Turbo exhaust noise - This noise started about 2 weeks ago, but seems to have gone away after service.

He mentioned these are common issues but nothing major at all.

Keen to hear everyone's thoughts? Would it be helpful if i sent some pics of item 1 and 2?

Cheers,
    Robbie
    Last edited by Robbie_p; 15th April 2019 at 09:02 PM. Reason: chnage

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sometimes on the CRD 3ltrs the egr pipe will split
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Sometimes on the CRD 3ltrs the egr pipe will split
    Would this be in relation to the turbo exhaust noise?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Possible it will be louder when cold and nearly go away when hot.
    it will go up and down with your revs.
    Maybe get an EGR blanking plate fitted along with a scan gauge,
    a must for owners of CRD IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spot on! When I start the vehicle for the first time, I hear the "squeal" for the 1st minute of driving, however, it goes away shortly after. There is no loss of power when accelerating.

Given we approaching the Eater period, I'll only be able to get it checked out in a couple of weeks, should i be concerned when driving the vehicle before i get it checked out?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where about are you located mate?

Edit: just saw Brissy. I was going to recommend a second quote re the leaking seals, I had mine done and I'm sure it was cheaper but I cant reccomend anyone up your way

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rusty_nail; 16th April 2019 at 04:18 PM.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Where about are you located mate?

Edit: just saw Brissy. I was going to recommend a second quote re the leaking seals, I had mine done and I'm sure it was cheaper but I cant reccomend anyone up your way

I'm in the Wynnum / Manly area. Fairly new to the area (and Brisbane), so just went to my local mechanic for the service, but happy to use someone else going forward. I might call around and see how much the job would cost elsewhere. BTW.. my local mechanic wasnt going to do the seals, he was going to use his contact.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbie_p For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (16th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_p View Post
    Spot on! When I start the vehicle for the first time, I hear the "squeal" for the 1st minute of driving, however, it goes away shortly after. There is no loss of power when accelerating.

Given we approaching the Eater period, I'll only be able to get it checked out in a couple of weeks, should i be concerned when driving the vehicle before i get it checked out?
    4 possibilities, eg:

For turbo / exhaust sound
    EGR pipe passing back of motor adjacent to firewall as @threedogs mentioned. Try looking with mirror for soot/crack(difficult), would remove turbo heat shield.

2. Exhaust manifold gasket leaking (maybe broken studs_eg: common first 2 studs fail/ manifold warped), early stages, gap can take up after engine warms up and noise can stop.
    Best to remove turbo heat shield and front exhaust manifold heat shield to get good visual. If you have manual boost control you can unwind your needle valve at idle and this will reduce boost level and sometimes the noise at early stages of failure can stop. When my exhaust manifold gasket failed, there was a metallic type honing squeal coming from around turbo inlet, thought it was turbo compressor wheel hitting against its housing bore. Changed out turbo and the noise was still present (with new turbo) and ended up being failure of exhaust manifold gasket (pulled down for the second time).

3. Turbo to dump pipe flange gasket due to nuts coming undone. Get under veh, look up under turbo heat shield and check for evidence of exhaust soot residue on shield inside face.

4. If only squeal (bearing like): Could be belt tensioner, at early stages of failure noise(squeal) can stop shortly after first starting engine. At idle try applying water at low pressure around tensioner and fan belt and see if noise changes.

Note: Have had all 4 failures since new (08 CRD) 150,000kms.

Suggest you buy a tensioner and new belt as you will need one anyway at some time (in case of failure_be prepared). With noise stopping since car service, most likely be tensioner(hopefully). Rather know what the problem is before travelling long distances over Easter.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    4 possibilities, eg:

1. EGR pipe passing back of motor adjacent to firewall as @threedogs mentioned. Try looking with mirror for soot/crack(difficult), would remove turbo heat shield.

2. Exhaust manifold gasket leaking (maybe broken studs_eg: common first 2 studs fail/ manifold warped), early stages, gap can take up after engine warms up and noise can stop.
    Best to remove turbo heat shield and front exhaust manifold heat shield to get good visual. If you have manual boost control you can unwind your needle valve at idle and this will reduce boost level and sometimes the noise at early stages of failure can stop. When my exhaust manifold gasket failed, there was a metallic type honing squeal coming from around turbo inlet, thought it was turbo compressor wheel hitting against its housing bore. Changed out turbo and the noise was still present (with new turbo) and ended up being failure of exhaust manifold gasket (pulled down for the second time).

3. Turbo to dump pipe flange gasket due to nuts coming undone. Get under veh, look up under turbo heat shield and check for evidence of exhaust soot residue on shield inside face.

4. If only squeal (bearing like): Could be belt tensioner, at early stages of failure noise(squeal) can stop shortly after first starting engine. At idle try applying water at low pressure around tensioner and fan belt and see if noise changes.

Note: Have had all 4 failures since new (08 CRD) 150,000kms.

Suggest you buy a tensioner and new belt as you will need one anyway at some time (in case of failure_be prepared). With noise stopping since car service, most likely be tensioner(hopefully). Rather know what the problem is before travelling long distances over Easter.
    Thanks Bidja, but unfortunately i have very little experience in what or where to look, however, ill have a look, perhaps take some pics.. i guess its all part of the learning process.

My mechanic did mention that i should take the vehicle to his contact who specializes in exhausts.

The noise is still there after service, but only comes in the first minute or starting the car then goes away. Have only noticed the noise for a couple of weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast