Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fault Code PO123 - Came about after Exhaust change from stock to 3"

Hi ALL,

I have searched hi and low in the forums for this code or similar faults but couldn't find anything , sorry in advance if I have doubled up on a previous post

I have a 2012 Telstra spec Ute with a ZD30ddti.

Quick history:
    When I bought the vehicle 1.5months ago it came up with a maf sensor earth fault, changed the maf , didn't fix it, ran a wire from the maf earth to the earth point on the engine , all fixed no further issues. then,

I changed the exhaust out to a 3" with a single muffler and after that code PO123 came up, the light comes and goes but the problem remains.

The engine loses all power and boost goes down to nothing , then it picks up and drops off, can feel the engine surging, mainly happens at low speed going through gears but can pretty much notice it through out the range.

when surging the boost was spiking around 20psi so I built and fitted a spring & ball type boost controller and thought I had fixed it but no its still there, although the engine runs better now (maxs out at about 13psi) and feels to have more power.

Nissan told me the throttle body was U/S and they could get me a new one for RRP $2700 but could probly do it for $2400.

Surely there is a better / cheaper fix

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3inch too much for a 3lt patrol, 2.3/4 inch is the preferred size to keep required back pressure
    Did you use the original piece just under the manifold You will need it to be in place

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Fwdpatrol,

No I put a complete system on and don’t have the original anymore , if I replace a section along the line with 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 will that fix the issues ??

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    P0123 is a TPS fault code, bugger all to do with the 3 inch exhaust.

Google is your friend or you could try this...
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...osition-Sensor
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

mudski (2nd May 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does seem weird everything was fine till the exhaust went on ?? , surely the throttle body cant be stuffed ??

the must be plenty on here that run 3" full exhausts without issues ??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R055IE View Post
    Does seem weird everything was fine till the exhaust went on ?? , surely the throttle body cant be stuffed ??

the must be plenty on here that run 3" full exhausts without issues ??
    Yep, but a some only from the dump pipe back and Fwdpatrol is correct in that purely from an engineering view 2.75 is optimum...

Anyhoooo, fooling around with boost is treating the symptom not the fault IF the TPS is dodgy.
    You could see if resetting the fault code makes it go away in that it may simply be a latching fault code and the TPS glitched and is actually OK and you do really have overboost issues triggering limp mode.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fault code will reset / erase when I goes out , but it comes back again.

The boost was bouncing all over the place up over 20psi sometimes , I put a boost controller on it and it now doesn't go over about 13psi

I did notice earlier that it takes a bit longer to get the revs / speed / boost up when taking off, not much happens till it gets up to about 3000rpm.

Fuel / Fuel filter / air cleaner etc have all been changed

???

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R055IE View Post
    The fault code will reset / erase when I goes out , but it comes back again.

The boost was bouncing all over the place up over 20psi sometimes , I put a boost controller on it and it now doesn't go over about 13psi

I did notice earlier that it takes a bit longer to get the revs / speed / boost up when taking off, not much happens till it gets up to about 3000rpm.

Fuel / Fuel filter / air cleaner etc have all been changed

???
    That would be the low boost. 13psi is waaaaay to low. your EGT's would be through the roof. I would set it to 18 atleast. Add a needle valve in with the boost controller and this will enable you to control the spoolup rate of the turbo too. I just googled P0123 and TPS was the first hit...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (10th April 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check all the vac hoses. Especially ones under the intercooler , I would replace them all , doesn’t cost much. Get a roll of blue SAAS silicone hose at Autopro
    I found with my car which was a Di, 16 psi was it’s max before the maf threw a limp , but Di and CRD are different

Proud BTrol Owner
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    That would be the low boost. 13psi is waaaaay to low. your EGT's would be through the roof. I would set it to 18 atleast. Add a needle valve in with the boost controller and this will enable you to control the spoolup rate of the turbo too. I just googled P0123 and TPS was the first hit...
    ^^^^

Wot e says x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast