Thread: Gu body swap series 1 gu to series 4+

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gu body swap series 1 gu to series 4+

Hi Ladies, Gentlemen or Others (whatever else you like to classify yourself as )

Some time in the mear future i am wanting to body swap the old girl to a series 4 plus wagon body.

Is thete anyone else here thats taken off a series 1 to 3 body and swapped it with a later model GU series 4 plus???

Was it difficult? What was involved?
    If you paid someone what did it cost you???

Now that i have done the barra conversion i am finding that the body has come to the emd of its life and is far from saving.... There is not a straight panel on the rig and it looks worse than a comp truck...

The ultimate goal for me is to club reg it in 4 years (counting down the days) with m plate permits through my club when it gets to 25 years old but the ace kicker would be to cab swap it to a series 4 plus...

I would then have a newer body on a 25 plus year old chassis which allows it for club reg which for me ultimately ends up as the cherry on top.

Question is
    Whos done it?
    Whats involved?
    And i assume it needs to be engineered?
    If later model body has abs or asc i also assume it doesnt need it cos its all recognised as being a 98 still???

Cheers in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gu body swap series 1 gu to series 4+

Why would you body swap. It would be far easier to find a S4 roller and just put your motor in that.
    Technically that’s a body swap too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mudski; 10th April 2019 at 06:30 PM.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres plenty of reasons to be honest

-the chassis is a 98 so with a series 4plus body it will look neeer with fresher interior but will also still allow me to club reg the vehicle thus saving 700 dollars a year just on that.

The engine mounts are connected to the chassis via welds to suit the ford engine

The tranny crossmember gas also been cut , moved back 20mm and rewelded to suit the ford conversion

The engineering that cost me an arm and a leg is recognised as a series 1 so if i put it in another chassis it will then require re engineering

If the seties 4 has asc abs esc etc the engineering process is completly different and will then have to comply under those regulations

If the series 4 plus is a 3 litre (most are) the torque amount from one engine to another must not exceed more than 20 or 22 percent of the motor youre putting in otherwise will requìre far more stricter process of engineering

Id rather remove 1x body and all wiring than remove entire driveline and engine tranny looms etc

I've thought long and hard this way round is far more beneficial for me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi BD , isn't the VIN number on the body of car, So if you get a later year body , the whole thing of Club reg go out the window. Just find a better Series 1 body, Maybe a Ti body. regards Alex
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to altech For This Useful Post:

Baby Daddy (17th April 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baby Daddy View Post
    Theres plenty of reasons to be honest

-the chassis is a 98 so with a series 4plus body it will look neeer with fresher interior but will also still allow me to club reg the vehicle thus saving 700 dollars a year just on that.

The engine mounts are connected to the chassis via welds to suit the ford engine

The tranny crossmember gas also been cut , moved back 20mm and rewelded to suit the ford conversion

The engineering that cost me an arm and a leg is recognised as a series 1 so if i put it in another chassis it will then require re engineering

If the seties 4 has asc abs esc etc the engineering process is completly different and will then have to comply under those regulations

If the series 4 plus is a 3 litre (most are) the torque amount from one engine to another must not exceed more than 20 or 22 percent of the motor youre putting in otherwise will requìre far more stricter process of engineering

Id rather remove 1x body and all wiring than remove entire driveline and engine tranny looms etc

I've thought long and hard this way round is far more beneficial for me.
    Fair enough mate. Good luck with it. You might want to speak to an engineer first to make sure what you are doing does not require a new certificate.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by altech View Post
    Hi BD , isn't the VIN number on the body of car, So if you get a later year body , the whole thing of Club reg go out the window. Just find a better Series 1 body, Maybe a Ti body. regards Alex
    I thought the VIN was on a tag rivetted to the body, so remove and replace.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, I've done cab swap on my GQ and that was straight forward just a lot of hours as it was stripped to a bare shell. Not sure of any hidden surprises on GU changing series and also not sure about legalities, but compliance plate with engine vin number and everything else just riveted to fire wall so just swap them over and will match vin on chassis. Only issue i can see is if it gets questioned by plod or authorities what the specifics would be. Once it's jb the road very slim chance of anything being questioned would think.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by altech View Post
    Very good question.
    From my understanding when you throw another cab on a chassis the car is still recognised as whatever the chassis is so technically speaking its still a series 1 but will have to confirm as this is one of the questions i really had amongst all the homework i meed to do.
    From my understanding i can change over the plates on the body to suit existing chassis as they are riveted.

I would think that id have to get the cab swap engineered which i cant see being a problem but I'll have to ask around

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I got my Patrol Engineered at 4x4 Obsession in Melton. Might pay to give Brett a call and chat with him. One thing you will need to ask is. If he can engineer said cab swap. Will it be then engineered as a 2000 Series one or a 2004 onwards series 4?

You dont want to get this wrong.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Fair enough mate. Good luck with it. You might want to speak to an engineer first to make sure what you are doing does not require a new certificate.
    Yeah i will do mate thanks.
    Not worth taking the risk these days so always happy to go down that path.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast