Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 753 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colby emergency valve stems

Wondering if anyone has tried out these replacement valve stems that you can install from outside the tyre?

I'm looking at the Colby replacement valve stems here - https://www.colbyvalve.com/

Looks like a great fix for a bugger of a problem.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We carry a couple with us but haven't needed to use them yet. There's another thread on them somewhere here.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you get 'em Cuppa? I saw they're on Amazon US for about $US35 or Amazon AU for $AU125

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought them from them from Amazon US & paid Aus$60 delivered for 2 about 12 months ago. I got the tool free ones. MB bought some too but got the type requiring a spanner to nip them up & TPC got the same as me.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...t=colby+valves

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

10G (10th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... I also have a couple, tool free seemed logical to me.

Bought out of the U.S. for like 1/2 the price IIRC and got 'em quicker as well
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

10G (10th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,216 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colby emergency valve stems

Yep, @PeeBee kindly put us onto them Colby’s from USA, Ebay I might have got mine, either way they landed very fast too.
    Thankfully neither of us have had to use them in anger yet but is reassuring having a pair in cab next to my air hose reel.
    We both chose the Blue packet ‘Extra Short’ labelled, “theory” being if we’re ever ripping valve stems off on gnarly track walls then stubby quick replacements would be best.
    I carry a multi tool (Leatherman OHT) daily off my belt which would nip them up without ratting through the rear tool box for a spanner on a steep track.

EDIT: @Cuppa kindly put PeeBee and I onto them Colby’s thanks mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 10th April 2019 at 04:42 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

10G (10th April 2019), PeeBee (10th April 2019)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll get a set of the tool free ones.

Does anyone know if they're reusable? I seem to think they aren't as the rubber may not seal a second time / second use.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll get a set of the tool free ones.

Does anyone know if they're reusable? I seem to think they aren't as the rubber may not seal a second time / second use.
    If they don't look damaged and the rubber relaxes to its non compressed form, I would think they are reusable. If they stay in for a while and get 'permanent set' I would think you might still get a seal, however for peace of mind would probably carry an additional spare.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know if they're reusable?
    Just watched an official Colby vid and they said all parts of the Colby valves are reusable.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MB (12th April 2019), PeeBee (12th April 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched an official Colby vid and they said all parts of the Colby valves are reusable.
    Do they give you a guide as to how long you can keep them in place - bearing in mind they are probably more for an emergency fix, but maybe for longer term? I know if I used one on my brothers car it would still be there in use after 10 yrs but am curious if they give a benchmark of say 3 months or 'as soon as practical' change them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast