OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Mystery black box in engine bay!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mystery black box in engine bay!

Hi all, I’ve recently bought myself a GUII and having fun now each weekend familiarising myself with the car and the engine bay as well as planning some mods.

Whilst planning out what I want to do for a dual battery install I came across a mystery black box bolted onto the side of the engine bay with a tubular key hole on top with wires coming out of it and running into the firewall.

I’ve attached some photos but don’t have a clue what it is and wasn’t given a key for it from the previous owner! (I’m sure he didn’t know what it was either or didn’t use it).

The earth line isn’t connected but haven’t been able to see if the wires from the box are actually connected to anything either. I’ll have to have a go at picking the lock at some point.

Thanks to anyone who can help me identify what this is!

B68BE718-EEF2-45AE-8C3C-E9791C9D859D.jpeg

FAD89801-C6D3-460E-8BA2-D7918C370186.jpeg)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, forum etiquette would have you post an introduction before you start asking questions.

I can't say without doubt but it's most likely some kind of anti theft device/immobiliser. If take it out you'll have to make sure you connect all the wires up correctly after or she probably won't go.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

jmuskett (8th April 2019), mudski (7th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah after market Alarm Siren for sure
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alarm system mate pretty much the same as mine in the GQ , wires won't be obvious .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, forum etiquette would have you post an introduction before you start asking questions.

I can't say without doubt but it's most likely some kind of anti theft device/immobiliser. If take it out you'll have to make sure you connect all the wires up correctly after or she probably won't go.
    Sorry for not following the forum rules either, I'll post an introduction now!
    Last edited by jmuskett; 8th April 2019 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the help and quick responses. I think I'm going to see if I can find out what make the system is before further tampering!

If I can find that out then I could either get a replacement or look at the wiring diagram so If I do choose to remove I wire the car back together properly. Also I'm not even sure if it works or if it has a control!