Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear door ladders?

Wondering if anyone has any experience with rear door ladders for a GU?

What brand? Would you buy it again? Has it rattled loose?

I saw one online and it clamped onto the rear door, I'm not sure how it would clamp nor how it would cope with corrugations?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Wondering if anyone has any experience with rear door ladders for a GU?

What brand? Would you buy it again? Has it rattled loose?

I saw one online and it clamped onto the rear door, I'm not sure how it would clamp nor how it would cope with corrugations?
    Hi Mate, yea I have one from on line some guy in Queensland. i havn't seen it since. I will try and get some pix later for you. Anyway, I have had it on for over three years and it has been over corrigations and all sorts of territory without mishap, the only exception being when I first fit it on because I didn't do it tight enough. When i climb up on it you can see an air gap at the top of the barn door as it pulls on it, I am about 100kg. It has always seated properly when I get off and never done any damage, just a bit frightning when you first notice it. I would suggest you only use it to get on and off the roof rack and not spend long periods on the ladder. I also use the spare to spread the weight when I am standing on the ladder. The first step from the ground can be a big one if you are carrying somthing. I have a 1/4 plate on my tow bar to help. The ladder hooks over the small barn door then has a bolt and nut locking system to the bottom of the door. rember to lock the bolt up, thats what I didnt do the first time and it came loose. Having said that, if it loosens up and you don't notice the noise and gap on the door you probably shouldnt be driving as you are both deaf and blind. I also put some teflon inserts on mine to stop damage to the paint. Seems to have worked. Will get some pics later.
    Cheers Tony
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thanks Tony, I'd appreciate the pics. I'm actually thinking of using it to carry a few canvas bags so I can keep my recovery stuff outside the vehicle, + use it to get to the rack.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Cradoka (3rd April 2019)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey thanks for the pics Tony, much appreciated.

That looks like the same one I found online that hooks to the barn door, you don't have to drill any holes which is nice. Good to hear you've had no problems with it rattling loose. It also looks good on the vehicle. The powder coating seems to have lasted well as well.

Nice. Thanks again mate.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a GU I see once in a while near my work with a ladder like that or similar. I like how it looks and I can see how it makes life easier to get up there.
    But I personally don't like how its attached to the door, especially considering that small door is not that strong. Hung on the top, weight on the ladder wants to peel the top of the door away from the body.
    2005 TD42TI

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    There is a GU I see once in a while near my work with a ladder like that or similar. I like how it looks and I can see how it makes life easier to get up there.
    But I personally don't like how its attached to the door, especially considering that small door is not that strong. Hung on the top, weight on the ladder wants to peel the top of the door away from the body.
    Yep, I understand what you're saying. Most of the ladders I've seen bolt to the door, so you'd still have that problem A smart person would design some retractable legs that can pop out and sit on the rear step when you climb up on the ladder.

I'm thinking of mostly carrying canvas bags and stuff on the ladder for recovery gear, wet stuff, rubbish etc, to free up some space inside, so you may be looking at 10 - 20Kgs tops.

Starting to think about building my own ladder. How hard could it be!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Yep, I understand what you're saying. Most of the ladders I've seen bolt to the door, so you'd still have that problem A smart person would design some retractable legs that can pop out and sit on the rear step when you climb up on the ladder.

I'm thinking of mostly carrying canvas bags and stuff on the ladder for recovery gear, wet stuff, rubbish etc, to free up some space inside, so you may be looking at 10 - 20Kgs tops.

Starting to think about building my own ladder. How hard could it be!

As for making one! Well , i'm not a metal worker. lol But looking at it, if you knew your way around metal and had access to tools like a bender and welder well..... possibilities are endless. lol

Like you said, even the bolted on versions still attract the same issue. The door still cops all the weight, and some of it being the peel-away effect. Door may bend the top portion possibly jeopardising the seal. I've take both my doors off due to an incident and there is NOTHING in them. Some of the earlier GU's had the large door develop cracks. @mudski and a few others have had this issue.

When you say 10-20kg of weight, i'm assuming being strapped to the ladder while i transit??? When climbing it , average person is 70kg+. I know it's only momentary weight, but still.

Chances of damage are probably low, but still can happen. Lucky the doors are relatively cheap. When my big barn door got damaged, i went to wreckers and they let me choose from aroud 50+ white barn doors in their yard. So if it happens, simple bolt off, bolt on ! lol
    2005 TD42TI

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ladder configured that is mounted on the Pass side, right near the rear corner. Its bolted to the roofrack as the top fixture, then secured at the base into the rear bar. This is very stiff and bomb proof - it is a close profile to the body of the GQ and allows me to use the rear bar as a step to get on and off. Its made from 20mm SHS mild steel. I dont have a photo handy but the ladder started life on a Toyota HJ75 troopy many years ago, and I picked it up at a 4wd auction day very cheaply. If you go this way, watch out for clearance of your toe against the body as it will be easy to scratch the paintwork getting up and down - I ended up configuring a 25mm angle on the inboard side of the step so the toe of the shoe can't go any further.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made 2 ladders for my GU from aluminium. The rear door ladder is hooked onto the top and bolted through at the bottom.
    I made a larger 1st step that holds a 10 lt jerry with gennie fuel and I hook the recovery tracks onto it as well. The tracks are easily removed if I need to climb up there.

Yes, it pulls the door out at the top when you climb on it but it always goes back into place correctly so I don't worry about it.

I made a 2nd ally ladder that hooks onto the roof rack on the driver's side. At 74, I wanted some way to get the spare off the roof a little more easily so I have a piece that clips in that I can get the wheel onto then push it up onto the rack. It folds up and clips to the cargo barrier inside.

I can also place the side ladder against the rear wheel to get easy access to the 2 x 20 lts jerries in that corner.

I can hold either ladder on my index finger so not much extra weight.
    Ladder 1.jpgLadder 2.jpgLadder 3.jpgSide ladder 1.jpgSide ladder 2.jpgSide ladder 3.jpgSide ladder attach.jpg
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

altech (9th April 2019), Bidja (6th April 2019), Cuppa (6th April 2019), MB (14th December 2020), MudRunnerTD (12th April 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast