Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • I just keep driving

10 10.75%
  • Turn around, check on the animal and pouch and put it out of its misery

71 76.34%
  • Keep driving but ring wildlife care

0 0%
  • Turn around and check on it but dont have the heart to kill it usually so ring Wildlife care

12 12.90%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you run over wildlife?

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't hit anything yet and as I mostly drive my Falcon I hope not to. But when the ring road is bad, I do sometimes go through the country around the top of Melbourne Airport. So, with the stuff you usually have inside a commuter car (wheel brace?), how would you suggest I humanely kill the animal? Also it would no doubt be in front of other road users going past, am I going to get reported?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,616 Times in 3,112 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reported??? I doubt it.. most city people (non of you guys obviously) drive around with there head so far up their ..... you'll be lucky if you don't get hit...

But you do bring a good point? I wouldn't call flogging it with a tire lever humane.. so what do you do?

Kallen Westbrook
    Owner of
    Westy's Accessories
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is something that could be an difficult situation if the wrong person saw it. I have no doubt that there are alot of people out there who would think that the correct thing to do was to seek assistance for the injured animal e.g. vet. I think the action you take would need to be suited to the location and circumstances.

Having said that I can't help think of the scene from the movie Me, Myself and Irene where Jim Carey makes several attempts to bump off a cow which was laying injured on the road.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The Following User Says Thank You to graeme1969 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (21st June 2013)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pascal1 View Post
    I drove thousands of kms in central Australia this month and saw lots of killed kangaroos, some foxes and a cat, even some big stock in remote areas. Nobody seems to care for retrieving them from the road or track, so they remain dangerous obstacles for a while until flatten out enough. They also attract big eagles which are pretty picturesques. I think small vehicule owners may stop and move the corpse out of the way (that I would do), so they just decay on the edge, but big trucks won't afford that and would keep rolling or if they manage to stop hundreds of meters further, it would be to check their mechanics only.
    Depending where it is, they decay/get eaten pretty quick.

I can pledge a photo a day, starting with a fresh wallaby, new photo each day for the next 7. Your choice if you want him left on the road or dragged onto the side to eliminate being run over again.

I don't mean to be 'disgusting', but it isn't that people don't care. It is just way too much work to move and bury. each and every dead animal.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In near-forty years of driving I've hit and killed three 'roos. The first was dead from the impact. The second needed to be dispatched with a shovel (and the hairless joey was given the same). The third was sitting in the middle of the track with a broken leg, and that sad confused look on its face when I walked back to it (my imagination of course). That one was killed with a solid blow to the head with a mattock handle (probably the best tool for the job, and best done quickly while the animal is in shock).

I now have a set of Shu-Roo on the car, and haven't hit an animal since. There have been a few close calls though, so I'm not suggesting they are the perfect solution.
    ================================================== ============
    Chris

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snuff the poor thing out if it isn't going to make it. If its an animal that is tastey table fair and it isn't too mangled throw it in the back and take it home and butcher that thing up for a fine meal.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stop for every dead animal. Will roll it over and check pouch. If its suffering will cuts it throat.

Saved 1 wombat one day, took it to the vets but the young wombat had a broken front leg do they put it down.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    going from Cooma to Bombala to Caan river hit a roo at 80kmh, no chance to miss, up embankment and down centre of lane doing 115 kmh ... brakes hard, bang bump and knocks under car, wife looks back and states its moving, reverse gear over said animal and drag off road down embankment = short amount of suffering with multiple broken bones "compound" fractures = all in space of 1 minute ... lived in "snowies" for 20yrs and first animal hit, had to dispatch numerous "road kill" but not dead over the years.
    usually carry a 14lb hammer handle in car for such events and a big sharp "bowie" too
    Cheers

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xfactor For This Useful Post:

AB (27th June 2013), growler2058 (27th June 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As bad as this sounds I keep a big wrench in the car which does work a treat for instant miseryputerouterar tool....lol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back over it and make sure it's dead!!!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast