Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • I just keep driving

10 10.75%
  • Turn around, check on the animal and pouch and put it out of its misery

71 76.34%
  • Keep driving but ring wildlife care

0 0%
  • Turn around and check on it but dont have the heart to kill it usually so ring Wildlife care

12 12.90%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you run over wildlife?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In WA, there is volunteer section from DEC ( environment and conservation) called Wildcare. They receive calls relating to this issue and the pass info to the co-ordinator who calls out volunteer Animal Control Agents who will check the animal and take to a vet / animal rehab centre or if needs be shoot it. Police are only to be used as a last resort over here if shire rangers etc are not available.

I have lost count how many times i have been called out by DEC for these scenarios. In every instance i have had to shoot the animal.
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oncedisturbed View Post
    In WA, there is volunteer section from DEC ( environment and conservation) called Wildcare. They receive calls relating to this issue and the pass info to the co-ordinator who calls out volunteer Animal Control Agents who will check the animal and take to a vet / animal rehab centre or if needs be shoot it. Police are only to be used as a last resort over here if shire rangers etc are not available.

I have lost count how many times i have been called out by DEC for these scenarios. In every instance i have had to shoot the animal.
    Hence , the reason we should be allowd to own one rifle responsibly cared for, stored and used for hmane putting down injured animals in the bush.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve hit a few roos on road trips 3 in one night was worst record but I’ve ticked the keep driving box only as it depends on the speed of the impact if I hit a animal at 90kmh and chunks fly I’m not going to turn around assuming its well and truly dead! But if I’ve hit at lower speeds I will go back to see if it’s alive/suffering and check its pouch. One time as the missus was in the car she didn’t want to know about it so i had to drive over its head with the trailer so she wouldn’t feel it! I’m just glad it’s not usually at lower speeds

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've had a roo kill itself with my vehicle before.

at work out bush, we were using an old unused pit as our sourse of water for drilling operations.
    we had to drive our HINO 4x4 truck down the washed out decline to turn on a generator and pump.
    there was always dead goats and roos down there that had just jumped or fallen the 100m down to their doom.

the track was soo washed out we used to drive down it in high range, 1st gear with the exhaust brake on the whole way down.
    well one time just before the bottom i came around the bend, really slowly remember when a group of roos got startled and bounded back up the decline.
    one of them plowed head first straight into the roo bar.... "are you f**kin serious" i said out loud (i was by myself).
    got out the truck and i couldnt belive it, Dead.... i plowed a giant rock into its head and threw it out the way.

i'll never forget that and it was about 6 years ago.

its the funniest thing being behind a road train that cleans up a big roo, head on... they get bashed up and killed but they come the back of it still looks like there running.
    '92 (MIGHTY) GQ ST 3.0L Duel Petrol / LPG, 2" Pedders Suspension Lift on 33x12.5x15 BigHorns
    Lukey 2.5" Performance Exhaust with Extractors, snorkel
    Auto Lokka In The Front, Duel Batteries, Stiff Deep Dish Steering Wheel,

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've hit a few wallabies and roos, countless rabbits and possums too.

Don't bother to check on rabbits as there is no chance in hell it would survive (and let's be honest... they're just rabbits!), check possums for youngins. Had to put a couple of roos out of their misery and one time a wallaby managed to limp it's way into the scrub before I got to it so I don't know if that survived or not. Luckily none have ever had joeys.

What I cannot stand is people who hit wildlife and leave it in the middle of the road. I've gotta drive through a place called "birds gully" where the amount of wildlife crossing the 100km/h road is down right dangerous! Always at least 1 or 2 wombats or wallabies in the middle of the road that I have to pull off so some other poor driver doesn't hit it. There are a lot of dead foxes along the Strzelecki Highway that people continuously run over into a pulp.

If you kill an animal on the road please do the right thing and at least move it off the road!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only killed a few possums but got really really close to killing a few Roos, the last one literally jumped over the bonnet.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    goldfields highway, anyone around kalgoorlie area will know,
    if you dont pull your roadkill off into the bush you get wedge tailed eagles (wedgies) feeding on them
    they get that full and heavy the only way they can take off is buy flying into the wind which alot of the time seems to be towards oncoming vehicles.
    windscreens dont always deflect or kill them and the last thing you want is a p**sed off eagle in the cab with you. (or a roo for that matter) ive heard stories of truckies bailin out of movin roadttrains, just getting down as many gears as quick as possible and then jumpin.

can anyone confirm this?
    also heard about wedgies exploding as they go through covering the drivers in rotten guts and maggots
    Last edited by Rustyboner81; 22nd August 2012 at 11:29 PM.
    '92 (MIGHTY) GQ ST 3.0L Duel Petrol / LPG, 2" Pedders Suspension Lift on 33x12.5x15 BigHorns
    Lukey 2.5" Performance Exhaust with Extractors, snorkel
    Auto Lokka In The Front, Duel Batteries, Stiff Deep Dish Steering Wheel,

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Should also try to avoid road kill as the bones being green will certainly go through any tyre.

If off the beaten track I'll use road kill for yabby bait,
    Leigh Creek do a great road kill stew its on their menu board'
    but suspect its A grade beef
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful checking on injured/dead wildlife I have a great scar on my forearm from a roo that looked dead until I tried to look in it`s pouch!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The police just shoot them anyway
    1st G60 Then MQ Now GU

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast