Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • I just keep driving

10 10.75%
  • Turn around, check on the animal and pouch and put it out of its misery

71 76.34%
  • Keep driving but ring wildlife care

0 0%
  • Turn around and check on it but dont have the heart to kill it usually so ring Wildlife care

12 12.90%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you run over wildlife?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all would be proud. Heading into Logan Village last Wednesday night approx 7:30pm, and passed a huge snake coiled on other side of road. Did a Uey, went back and pulled half of road just beforecrest of hil, protectingsnake. Turned on flashing roof light and hazards. Wentto check what sortof snake and injuies. Found a Carpet Snake as thick as my forearm, uninjured trying to strike passing vehicles. Went back to ute, got the ladder rack, and flicked (her) into the grass.

Anyway, I take off go down the road a bit to chuck another uey, and head back to Logan Village, when blow me down, there's a smaller snake on the road. So I pull over again, protecting the snake with the ute. Hop out and check for injuries, by touching him with the rack and he takes off into the grass.

Feeling good, chuck my uey, head to original destination, looking for more snakes, there and back . Good news, still haven't sen any skittled snake in that section so far. Oh yeah, the 2nd one was aamller carpet snake.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

AB (5th March 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    You all would be proud. Heading into Logan Village last Wednesday night approx 7:30pm, and passed a huge snake coiled on other side of road. Did a Uey, went back and pulled half of road just beforecrest of hil, protectingsnake. Turned on flashing roof light and hazards. Wentto check what sortof snake and injuies. Found a Carpet Snake as thick as my forearm, uninjured trying to strike passing vehicles. Went back to ute, got the ladder rack, and flicked (her) into the grass.

Anyway, I take off go down the road a bit to chuck another uey, and head back to Logan Village, when blow me down, there's a smaller snake on the road. So I pull over again, protecting the snake with the ute. Hop out and check for injuries, by touching him with the rack and he takes off into the grass.

Feeling good, chuck my uey, head to original destination, looking for more snakes, there and back . Good news, still haven't sen any skittled snake in that section so far. Oh yeah, the 2nd one was aamller carpet snake.

Tim
    Place was almost carpeted with them, Tim. Good work on moving them safely.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (5th March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skin it and chuck it in the camp oven with some spuds!!

(Im gunna regret this) But just got back from the Stevie Wonder concert in Margaret river, what a BLAST.
    Cheers, the ferret.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mate made a comment to an unsuspected snake lover on Saturday.

Snake lover got very very toey and referred to huge fines for killing protected wild life etc, he apparently has quite a few living around his house including some nasty ones. Kind of got the impression he would be happier if the rest of us did the same.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post

Snake lover got very very toey and referred to huge fines for killing protected wild life etc, he apparently has quite a few living around his house including some nasty ones. Kind of got the impression he would be happier if the rest of us did the same.
    The Animal Welfare Act allows anyone to "Humanely euthanise" injured animals where no medical treatment is available. I am a volunteer shooter for DEC in WA and get called out all the time to put down injured roo's etc that have been hit by cars or mongrel's going out "bunny bashing" etc
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Skin it and chuck it in the camp oven with some spuds!!

(Im gunna regret this) But just got back from the Stevie Wonder concert in Margaret river, what a BLAST.
    Cheers, the ferret.
    Was he happy to see you?

Tim

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post

a big Python in the rafters doe wonders to move visitors quickly!

Tim

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the more reason to rlax gun laws, so we can have a 22 in the rack and a box of ammo, for emergencies. But, a sharp axe/meschette/tomahawk does a humane job.

Tim

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When my girlfriend started driving out to my place a couple of years ago, i told her not to ever swerve to miss an animal. We get heaps of wallabies, no big roos, and a cow on the road is very very rare. Slow down for sure, but never swerve.
    Back in primary school, a mates mum swerved to miss a wallaby and rolled down a bank and landed in a dam. They had to get out of the car under water, Bugger that!!

On another note, hit a bunny one night, went back to pick him up. Unfortunately he was dead so we took him back to camp and ate him!
    Hello from Under Down Under!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (13th April 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hit a possum not too long ago, 3:00 am in the middle of nowhere, turned around to check on it, and it had a baby in it's pouch.

The mother was all messed up (Missing a leg), so after standing there for a while, I decided to drop a rather large rock on it.

Seeems kinda mean, but better than it being eaten alive by a a fox or starving slowly over a few days.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BROOZA For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (13th April 2012), patch697 (21st August 2012)

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast