Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • I just keep driving

10 10.75%
  • Turn around, check on the animal and pouch and put it out of its misery

71 76.34%
  • Keep driving but ring wildlife care

0 0%
  • Turn around and check on it but dont have the heart to kill it usually so ring Wildlife care

12 12.90%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you run over wildlife?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya need to add "Go back an get it for the Barby" on the poll
    Western Patrol Club member

GQ with 5.7 Gen 111 V8, Dual ARB airlockers, 33" Coopers, 9000lb Premier winch, Black Widow draws

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Up around Nimbin I back up and run over the wildlife a couple more times just to make sure... In Canberra I'd swerve to hit it.

Everywhere else I take the humane path as best I safely can.

Quick war story... a few years ago, well, OK a lot of years ago now, up in Darwin I skittled a beaut looking Staffy. Turned around and went back and there it was laying motionless on the road. Another Car who stopped helped me throw an old blanket over it and wrap up the body.
    The critter had a nice Collar but no tags so I was taking it to the tip which was only a few klicks away when at 80 KPH the "bundle" of dead dog and blanket on the back seat sprang to life and scared the bejeezus out of me.
    Bloody thing was only unconcious and sprang up and did 20 laps around the interior while licking me to death till I had the composure to pull over. I must have only just clipped him with the car.
    Took him to the RSPCA pound instead and went back a couple of days later to check if he was still there.
    The Owners claimed him and were probably none the wiser of his adventures to this day. He was a beaut critter and I would have rescued him if noone claimed him (I'd already named him Casper as in the Ghost)
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Winnie (21st August 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would always go back to check what condition the animal is and put it out of it's misery if needed. If it was a roo with a joey I would throw the youngen in the truck for a feed....hmmmm. Best feed ever.
    Last edited by Maxhead; 3rd June 2011 at 06:28 PM.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never knock back a bit of road pizza mmmmmm

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yummy yummy yummy there'll be roadkill in me tummy!!!!! Not actually hit anything yet but would have to turn back and work it out from there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i come from the bush and have always carryed a firearm just in case, and also for getting tucker
    have used it a couple of times, last one was the cow i hit about 17 months ago, glad i had it with me because i smashed her hips to pieces .
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of stories to tell: Some of the locals will understand my delay in this first story.

I was driving from beenliegh to waterford once, and outside the retirement village "Palm Lake Resort", I noticed a large turtle/tortoise at the last minute and swirved to miss it, while doing 80km/h and no-one beside me. So I decided to take the next turn left and trace my way back around the back through bethania industrial park to come and save him from being road kill. Well I made around just in time to see a LOgan City bus aim from him dead on, and I was so p!ssed with myself I balled my eyes out, at the sight of a magnificent creature smashed by a ignorant B@STARD! He could of missed it easily, but he actually aimed for it.

Next one was a little more funny, I was going to work one morning, when I hit a pidgeon with the right rear view mirror in my commodore. Well I looked back and it was fluttering about, so I go back and pick it up. No blood so take him home to Dia, and tell her what I did with a tear in my eye, so she says she'll keep it quiet for the day. apparently I wouldn't have been 5 mins up the road and it did a burst of flutters and died. Being a bird keeper years ago I should have known to gas him, to be kinder, but I was feeling guilty I s'pose.

Then there was the time I was coming home one winter evening about 2 year ago, and I saw a deer run across in front of me on a left bend at Buccan, it scared the sh!t out of me. I told everyone and they all laughed and said that there was no deer around here! About two weeks later, there was a dead deer right where one ran in front of me. So I took a drive down a side road I'd never been down that afternoon, and found Deer Lane and at the end is a deer farm.

Tim

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always go back and finish the job then get it off the road

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have done alot of counrty driving with work in qld...hit a few animals always try to avoid but sometimes ya just cant do that safely. Always go back check them put out of misery or ring wildlife if look ok...That said one story i do have scared sh*t outta me lol...

was out the back of nowhere inland from emerald bout 2.5 - 3 hours...had a client (gov rep) in the car with me had to do about 1100klms for the day so was a big day, we were chattin away and they mentioned how i drove slow lmfao i was because they were in car...anyways put the foot in it bout hour later still motoring along came round a blind corner and there is a cow in the middle of the road OH *#@%, swerved just missed it inches at the most...went scrub dunno how but missed trees and everything pulled up about 150m in farmers paddock not a scratch PHEW, made sure gov chick was ok...got out of car lit smoke breathed deep lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudDonk For This Useful Post:

AB (4th March 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never hit anything as of yet, had a few close calls with cows on my way up to the kimberly.

Wayne

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast