Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • I just keep driving

10 10.75%
  • Turn around, check on the animal and pouch and put it out of its misery

71 76.34%
  • Keep driving but ring wildlife care

0 0%
  • Turn around and check on it but dont have the heart to kill it usually so ring Wildlife care

12 12.90%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you run over wildlife?

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What do you do when you run over wildlife?

I hit a wombat last night with the Patrol and trailer on a tight road and had to spend 15 minutes trying to turn around to check on it and ofcourse put it out of It's misery.

I have made a poll above to see what others would do in this situation. The poll is hidden so no one will know who voted in what section so please answer honestly.

Interested to see what others do in this situation...Please answer honestly.

What do you do when you hit an animal with your car?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is important to check that the animal is ok or not and if necessary put it out of its misery.
    Having said that not all people would be able to humanely kill an animal and in that case notify police or
    probably more importantly wild life carers. It is not a nice problem to face.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For sure It's not a nice job but you sleep better knowing you did the right thing rather then leave the animal on the road to die a slow and painful death. Even worse for another person to come along and hit the same animal or swerve to miss it and crash their vehicle and possible hurt/kill them too.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only ever hit one roo, checked on it - a buck, and it was dead

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ab View Post
    for sure it's not a nice job but you sleep better knowing you did the right thing rather then leave the animal on the road to die a slow and painful death. Even worse for another person to come along and hit the same animal or swerve to miss it and crash their vehicle and possible hurt/kill them too.
    you bring up a good point there andyNEVER SWERVE TO MISS AN ANIMAL AS YOUR LIFE OR OTHERS LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN AN ANIMAL

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    you bring up a good point there andyNEVER SWERVE TO MISS AN ANIMAL AS YOUR LIFE OR OTHERS LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN AN ANIMAL
    a piont i have never been able to enforce into the wife the number of time she has almost had an accident trying avoid,,,,,, (dont laugh) birds cats dogs etc (yes i did say birds first) i have lost count of!
    but swerve and suddly brake etc she does i always get the same answer,, "i dont care i will not run over an animal!!!" after 25 years of interstate trucking i have hit my fare share of roo's wombats on so on and also seen the carnage causeed these animals the olny thing i would try and avoid in the truck was big live stock such as cattle and horses but even then i would only slowling down to lessen the impact and damage to the vehicle. wombats are by far in my appinion one of the worst things to hit in any vehicle. i was almost rolled over once in a truck by wombat he went under every wheel on one side of the rig and lifted that one side right up of the road, scared the sh*T out of me!

to be honest i dont always stop to check on an animal if i have hit it,,,, unless i have any doubts that it did not die instantly then i try to IF IT IS SAFE and NOT ENDANGERING OTHER ROAD USERS.

I will prob get caned for that last comment.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah not if your trucking mate. You can't be expected to turn a monster around. My uncle was trucking for decades and loves animals but he said the same thing. It's just not possible to turn those puppies around all the time so no canning for you...lol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I eat it ... yum, yum, yum, yum ... lmfao ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 702 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our daughter swerved to miss an animal at night in a capital city last year, hit a sign that was at the start of a medium strip and after the sign were those rails that stand about a meter high made out of steel pipe cemented into the medium strip.

The road was fairly wide until they put the medium strip in (at the edge of the road and in the middle of the road) for people to cross which took it to a tight single lane. She had no time to brake and as she loves animals her natural instinct was to miss it.
    Well she did miss the animal but .........................she wrote off her car!!!!!
    The rails (x2) went under the car completely demolishing the drive train, gear box and twisting the chassis. She is very lucky she wan't hurt.

I have driven where all this happened and even knowing that swerving is the wrong thing to do, I don't know if I would'nt have done the same thing. The area is not well lit, tight and having "something" run at you from the left, you have less than a split second to make a decision in the dark.
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!
    Front and Rear "LOCKED" WOO HOO !! squeal, scream, squeal toot toot !! hahahaha

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...screen-Sticker

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    om nom nom nom.. roadkill lmao.

Thankfully I haven't hit anything yet. Been close a few times. Ran over a dog once bit it was small and just went under the car and didn't touch anything, which was a miracle. Then the owners had the gall to have a go at me while their dog was running around the street not on a leash. Fail.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast