Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • I just keep driving

10 10.75%
  • Turn around, check on the animal and pouch and put it out of its misery

71 76.34%
  • Keep driving but ring wildlife care

0 0%
  • Turn around and check on it but dont have the heart to kill it usually so ring Wildlife care

12 12.90%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do when you run over wildlife?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have hit quite a bit of wild life in trucks and fortunately they don't survive, except a big wedge tail which flew back into my truck and as there were other truck coming both ways and no shoulder I couldn't pull up and felt sick in the guts because I love the eagles. I also hit a family of Emu's passing a stock truck with 2 trailers, old man emu lead 5 chicks across the road but one decided to go back so they all went, dust and feathers every where, the old man bounced of my bullbar straight into the stock truck and I got all the chicks, no orphans. Know a truck drive who pulled up to help a Koala one night and ended up in hospital with his arms torn to shreds, so you must be careful when trying to help.
    Drive is 04 DX wagon, 165Ks, Dual Batts, 12000kg Warn in steel bar, Snorkel, Xray 220 Hid Spots, Cruise, digital EGT, Draws in back with power box, 40Ltr Waeco for the essentuals

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,262 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Funny you mention that just last night my mate got scratched trying to help a possum with a baby.

DIAL-A-TAP

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Never ever travel dawn ar Dust
    The amount of wildlife on the road seems to change with season, amount of rain, and moon phase. And tiredness levels. Totally didn't see a donkey right beside the road one night.

Tipsy-tap

We are located in the Port Stephens region of NSW, sand, water and fun in the sun!
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learnt very early in my driving career never swerve or deviate for an animal on the road if by doing do places YOU in an accident of incident.
    With the amount of k's I drive it's inevitable I'm going to encounter live stock or native animals on the road.
    I have hit sheep, roo's, wombats, pigs, emu's and the odd bird here and there and although I hate myself for not stopping, its just not practical.
    Most if not all are dead moments after you hit them, I have never grazed one they always seem to be lined up dead middle of the bullbar for some reason.
    How many times have you started to steer away (not swerve) from an animal to have to dopey mongrel turn around and head straight back the way it came,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last month I was travelling down through Qld around 2.00am and a truck driver called me up and told to be careful of a "White Bull" on the side of the road,,,,,,,,,,,,wtf I thought.
    This guy must be on some serious drugs, sure enough around the bend and there standing on the left side verge was a huge Brahman Bull, as white as snow!
    Just standing there watching the traffic pass bye,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when the truckie called me up and asked if he was still there, I said "what bull' your dreaming dude!

Cant be too careful, however you need to evaluate the possible harm to you and yours before moving that steering wheel.
    Youre initial response should always be slowing the vehicle down, regardless of what your driving, in a safe manner.

Stay safe dudes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Cheers

The BigFella
    500,000ks and still counting!

We are located in the Port Stephens region of NSW, sand, water and fun in the sun!
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learnt very early in my driving career never swerve or deviate for an animal on the road if by doing do places YOU in an accident of incident.
    With the amount of k's I drive it's inevitable I'm going to encounter live stock or native animals on the road.
    I have hit sheep, roo's, wombats, pigs, emu's and the odd bird here and there and although I hate myself for not stopping, its just not practical.
    Most if not all are dead moments after you hit them, I have never grazed one they always seem to be lined up dead middle of the bullbar for some reason.
    How many times have you started to steer away (not swerve) from an animal to have to dopey mongrel turn around and head straight back the way it came,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last month I was travelling down through Qld around 2.00am and a truck driver called me up and told to be careful of a "White Bull" on the side of the road,,,,,,,,,,,,wtf I thought.
    This guy must be on some serious drugs, sure enough around the bend and there standing on the left side verge was a huge Brahman Bull, as white as snow!
    Just standing there watching the traffic pass bye,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when the truckie called me up and asked if he was still there, I said "what bull' your dreaming dude!

Cant be too careful, however you need to evaluate the possible harm to you and yours before moving that steering wheel.
    Youre initial response should always be slowing the vehicle down, regardless of what your driving, in a safe manner.

Stay safe dudes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Cheers

The BigFella
    500,000ks and still counting!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what it is, I would be upset if I got a wombat, but not so much a roo, only ever had to dispatch a rabbit. :P

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrolpilot View Post
    I always go back and finish the job then get it off the road
    I carry a hammer in my car for this reason. I have hit a few roos. If they have a broken leg you pick up their tail so they don't try to stand stick your foot on their throat and a nice hard whack to the base of the skull normally does the trick. Then drag them off the road.

What gives me the sh!ts is people who hit them and just drive off and let someone else deal with it.

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen an emu get hit by a common door and its head went clean through the bonnet. Neck acted like a whip. It was quite a site and to be honest a little bit funny.

Just tap it in just tappy tappy tappy

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in the sticks. . . so often see animals hit, or hit them myself.

I assume we arent talking about magpies here. for them i just keep driving. if its a wombat/roo/wallabie/deer etc, different story.
    Being a country boy, I jump out and shoot it or knife it, and throw it in the boot as food for the dog. or if its a deer, eat it myself.
    Dog loves eating roo's/wallabie's. if its a deer thats hit, they often break their pelvis, and its a long slow death from there. ill always shoot a deer thats been hit, regardless if it "looks OK"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with jacket, unfortunately not enough deer around here though. Nothing like fresh venison.
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast