Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Temp

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know that running an upper-cylinder lubricant on a newly rebuilt petrol engine helps lower the running temps significantly. Don't know if it helps a diesel though.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just like to say a big thankyou to all who have help got rid of the thermal fans and went back to the original radiator and now the temp is perfect. Shame i couldnt use the 4 core radiator as i couldnt fit the original bits back on with it so went back to the original but at least the problem is solved so thank you to all

4. The Following User Says Thank You to totallylost For This Useful Post:

AB (1st April 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by totallylost View Post
    just like to say a big thankyou to all who have help got rid of the thermal fans and went back to the original radiator and now the temp is perfect. Shame i couldnt use the 4 core radiator as i couldnt fit the original bits back on with it so went back to the original but at least the problem is solved so thank you to all
    People seem to have good results with the oem radiator anyway mate. Glad you got it sorted.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou im glad i got it sorted thanks to people on here ive spent so much money on rebuilding the diesel engine in it i just dont want to stuff it up but now i can relax and go out and enjoy some off road time

7. The Following User Says Thank You to totallylost For This Useful Post:

AB (1st April 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a cut and paste from a discussion that I had with another forum. It does answer some of the questions raised here

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gqshortynt
    My thinking, and feel free to correct me if im wrong. But after reading through leethal's post i can agree. These bigger radiators with more cores, or thicker radiators seem to have a higher density of fins. Therefore as you go thicker you require more air pressure, and a bigger fan to equalize the cooling affect. More cores = more heat but more heat and more fins for the additional cores required more airflow to dissipate that heat. My current radiator is 3 core and 56mm.. So therefore going for a thinner less dense radiator, yes it cools a lower volume of coolant at any given time but its going so more efficiently.

Also on another note exactly how far have people gone sealing around the radiators including in the grill? Im thinking of putting some foam or something similar in between the front panel and the grill either side of the radiator/condensor like whats found in modern vehicles to help channel air. anyone done this? I would love to see some photos or ideas. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    In the first part you are correct, it take more air pressure to pass through a 3 core compared to a 2 core radiator. So you do need to make sure that you have a good flow of air. This means the radiators rubbers are in place and you have no massive obstructions in front of the grill.

The benefits of a 3 core radiator are more surface area (more tubes for the water to pass through), but this is only good if you have the air passing through the radiator and not spilling out from around the radiator because the rubbers have been removed or the air been pushed aside because of those Big Bull lights commonly fitted to 4X4.

As part of my testing I used a Anemometer to find out where I was losing air from the front of my Troll. Fitted a fixed fan set RPM at 1500 and measured at all points of the front of Grill.

Found without the rubbers on top as shown in pics from before more air was been drawn through those gaps than through the front of radiator, this may sound good but it's "not" when the bonnet is closed this is covered air is drawn in from the engine bay when stopped and air is spilled out through these gaps when moving. Air like water will flow in the direction of least resistance.

Measured without rubbers 3.2 m/s with rubbers in place 4.2 m/s a fair drop in air speed, and for ****s and giggles I took off the shroud 2.5 m/s a shroud is there for a purpose cooling 101 https://www.flex-a-lite.com/blog/the...roud-position/
    Hope this can shed a bit of light onto the subject..

P.S

If your interested here is a link to the full forum post https://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/engi...arched-403867/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gutsquisher Media For This Useful Post:

totallylost (12th April 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12