Thread: Engine Stopped!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    TD which do you go off for accuracy as the RPM is shown at 752 and the tacho looks like 400?
    Marks start at 500 so looks about right
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (17th March 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Marks start at 500 so looks about right
    Sorry didnt pick that up

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

threedogs (18th March 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update on this one, so that others might benefit from my woes...

I have replaced the injector pump with a reco unit from Bailey's Diesel - be it good or bad, that was what the budget extended to.

When the old pump was removed, there was an oversight - locking the scissor gear in place to prevent it from springing back. We should have found TDC and put a bolt into the scissor gear through the inspection hole on the front of the engine. I did mark the gear, the scissor gear and the housing by the scissor gear so before installing the new pump, I was able to get it back to what should have been the correct position.

Getting the scissor gear back to correct position involved lots of swearing, two screwdrivers and a lot of holding the tongue in just the right spot - one screwdriver to lever the outer ring of the scissor gear, and the other jammed in the scissor gear through the vacuum pump hole to prevent it springing back as I grabbed another tooth on top. Once in place and held with the screwdriver in the vacuum pump hole, carefully get the injector pump gear and slide it into place. The injector pump gear can only attach to the pump flange in one position as the bolts are slightly off square. This ensures the pump is timed to the engine.
    In theory the timing is spot on, as nothing moved from when I took the pump out, and all marks were lined up.

When I finally started the engine, I was very disturbed by the fact it would not rev over 1000rpm. Ran rough and was blowing white smoke - all pointed to a timing issue...an idea supported by two mechanics I had at hand.
    So I embarked on a process of turning the engine over manually until I could see timing marks on the cam shaft, scissor gear and injector pump gear and TDC on the balancer. What I found after two days of periodic turning - all timing marks lined up exactly as they should. No timing issue.
    The next step was to pump the primer on the top of the fuel filter and then try and rev the engine. This is certainly something I should have tried before manually turning the engine over, and did have some success. It appeared to be a fuel supply problem.
    I bypassed the main filter, installing a 12V lift pump (Goss pump from SuperCheap) and a temporary inline filter.
    This solved my problem allowing enough fuel for the engine to run as it should. It appears there was a restriction in the main filter/housing which probably led to the failure of my injector pump in the first place, and now prevented it from running as it should.

Now I need to put some better filtration on and ensure there are not restrictions.
    Last edited by GU Grover; 9th April 2019 at 11:51 AM.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GU Grover For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (9th April 2019), Cuppa (9th April 2019), mudnut (9th April 2019), Touses (9th April 2019), Woof (9th April 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12