Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre size question

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyre size question

I currently run 265's but hear a lot about 285's being better.
    My plan is to run the big map and I am hoping to hear from others who have done this and what they think works better as an all round option.
    I will run lots of back roads, not just highways, towing a camper trailer, under 1.5 tonne.

2002 GU3 Di Auto
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would maybe benefit having a bit extra meat there for when you air down, plus a bit extra clearance if you got on something a bit technical. You would trade off on your gearing a bit.

I think it would come down to preference. Me personally, unless I needed a new set anyway wouldn't even consider it. But then it's been years since I've ran 285s

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (2nd March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wot 'e said x 2 ^^^^ plus you will use more fuel (wider, same dia = more rolling resistance... wider plus inc dia = more rolling resistance and poorer gearing)

If your current set are down a bit and you have to get newbys on the trip at some point do it in a major city tho, bush prices can be obscene
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (2nd March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 285's look good, but I will be inside anyway so I won't see them
    Fuel and power ratio are powerful persuaders over the distance we will be travelling.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After running 285s for many years , I went to 265s this time , our van is just shy of 3t
    Haven't noticed a difference in fuel economy ... 2 many variables in road and wind conditions , driving styles to suit the terrain etc . ( and to be honest I'm not really interested , it is what it is )

Where i have noticed a big difference is acceleration from a standing start , and way easier on the clutch ! ( that was my reason for the change to 265s anyway ) , and has also allowed me to use 5th on flat roads without a headwind , and still keep the old 4.2 tdi in its happy rev range at 100kph , with the van on , so the old 33s are a thing of the past for me ! Didn't " LOOK " right at first , but got over that pretty quickly after the first run with the van !

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gaddy; 2nd March 2019 at 10:11 PM.
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (2nd March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run 265/75's ( with 2" lift)- hasn't once been an instance where I wished we had bigger.

265/75 is the modern 7.50R16 in that it's a common size obtainable at just about anywhere that tyres can be bought.

I've been happy with the Bridgestone D697 AT's & will replace with the same before we leave Broome. The tread got a bit chipped on the Qld channel country roads where they use quartz, but I reckon those roads would do the same to any tyre. We picked up a 3" nail in one tyre at the remains of an old homestead. Went in at a bit of an angle, but even so I was amazed when I pulled it out & no hiss of air. That was almost 18 months ago, & never had any further problem. Gave me confidence about their puncture resistance. Have also run them at low pressures for long distances in hot weather, with heavy loads. They are not worn out, but at 6 years old & 7 getting down, (approx 4mm) I feel better getting new ones given where we are headed next. Tyres can be very expensive in out of the way places, but we've found a place just outside Broome where I can buy them for the same fitted price I paid in Victoria. Apparently Wayne at Broome Mechanical has some sort of deal where no freight gets charged on tyres. Worth bearing in mind if you have a set that you think might get you to Broome. But having said that - the confidence factor in having new or near new tyres when heading remote is high. Carrying two spares is good insurance against getting punctures! Three if the ones on the camper are not interchangeable with the tow vehicle.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (3rd March 2019), Cradoka (3rd March 2019), Mc4by (3rd March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of a side note but Cuppa reminded me how good my last set of tyres were. I don't know exactly what their lable was but I had Bridgestone AT's in 265s for the first 60,000kms as they came band new when I got the car and couldn't justify buying new. They were a great tyre, only ever got a puncture once when they were getting down on tread and it was a nail.

Ran them for more k's than I can remember at low pressures and at times probably higher speeds than I should have on shitty roads around central aus. Even threw some good mud (at near new) when the roads turned to slush.

Trying the BFGoodrich now.. I have high expectations!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (3rd March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Bridgestone Dueller AT 265/75/16 at them moment. I have a 2 inch lift which leaves plenty of clearance. They have plenty of tred left and have done all I have asked them to. I don't drive through bog holes if I can find another way around.
    I will look into the D697's as I have been happy enough with Bridgestone.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may already know this but.........

One thing I learnt very early on is to make sure the tyres you run, what ever the size, are light truck (LT) rated.

Be careful not to fall into the price incentive and buying the same tyre in passenger grade.

LT tyres have more sidewall and tread plies, which makes the heavier, but also considerable stronger

My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trev zd30 For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (3rd March 2019), Mc4by (3rd March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trev zd30 View Post
    You may already know this but.........

One thing I learnt very early on is to make sure the tyres you run, what ever the size, are light truck (LT) rated.

Be careful not to fall into the price incentive and buying the same tyre in passenger grade.

LT tyres have more sidewall and tread plies, which makes the heavier, but also considerable stronger

My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Good information trev zd30.
    Sometimes in haste we can forget the basics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast