Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second row seat removal

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second row seat removal

I have removed the 3rd row seats and now I am thinking about removing the second row seats as well.
    With our plan being a lap I want to maximize the amount of storage and usable space in the wagon.
    Has anybody done this already and do you have any pictures of how you utilised the space.
    TIA
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do it ,make sure you remove the seat belts, and ideally get the rego altered to reflect it is now a 2 seater. I have gone thru this in Vic, - yes I know its different to WA, however as you move around the country you could get pinged by Mr PLOD if the paperwork is not right. To register it as a 2 seater, you need to fit a cargo barrier behind the front seats as well. Then again you could just take your chances I guess.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (1st March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure we've been over the legalities in another thread somewhere but peebee is on the money .
    I've removed all seats except the front two and put a false floor on the back floor ,I do have a cargo barrier .
    Haven't yet changed any details with VicRoads .

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (1st March 2019), PeeBee (1st March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am glad I posted here.
    I would have had no idea such things had to be done.
    Will I need to go through this process in each state with their different laws or can I do it here in the west and it covers me everywhere?
    The seats will go back in after I return.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know each state has its own set of regs. I also know that Victoria no longer accepts engineering certs from WA due to dubious certificates being uncovered for vehicles that never went thru a certification - mine was 'engineered and GVM upgraded' in WA and none of it was recognised in Vic - however, as a traveller you may get away with a WA certificate on the basis you are returning to that state at journey's end, unlike me who has a Vic rego vehicle modified in WA. There have been the usual rumours and horror stories about forums for years about QLD and NSW pink slipping interstate travellers for non compliance , however I don't know how true this is in reality. I think if the vehicle looks tidy and has had some effort put in to protect occupants during a collision you may well slide under the 'official radar'.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (1st March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aaaah the old removing seats discussion eh... it varies from State to State...

Best scenario is like Vic where if the vehicle is originally a 9 seater or less just cut sick
    https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/regi...eplacing-seats

Worst scenario is like Qld where 'temporary' is OK and 'permanent' requires a mod plate and the issue becomes what is the definition of 'temporary'
    https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/S....../L51.pdf?la...

SA probably has the best definition of temporary
    https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving...and-seat-belts

Temporary removal of seats

Many 4WD owners who use their vehicles for holidays and camping sometimes would like to use the rear space of their 4WDs for camping equipment or for extra luggage room. Therefore it would be useful to temporarily remove the rear most seats in the vehicle.

If the removal of seats is temporary DPTI does not need to be advised, and no seating inspection is required.

If the seat cannot be returned to its original position because of the permanent removal of an anchorage point, then a seating inspection is required and Service SA will need to be notified of the change.

The temporary removal of seats in vehicles in particular to 4WD's with rear seats for seven or eight passengers, is permissible providing that:

- when removing rear seats that no tools or only simple tools are required
    - no seat, seat belt or child restraint anchorages are removed or modified and no modification has been made to the seating capacity
    - there are no structural modifications involved and there is no change in the vehicle's registration category.

Bottom line is that there are three things to note for all jurisdictions which IMHO are -
    -Do NOT remove or dick with any any Belts or SRS equipment
    -If in the unlikely event you get asked, indicate that you have only removed the seats temporarily and all mounts are intact and that the seats will be refitted on "date" when you are finished your trip.
    -If you want to be deadset 100% absolutely sure you are kosher go and get the mod plate (but i wouldn't bother).

Disclaimer... I haven't gone thru every state for some time but don't think anyone has changed the regs recently so up to you what you do.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 1st March 2019 at 10:49 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (1st March 2019), Mc4by (1st March 2019), mudnut (1st March 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info ET, and yes I do now recall the 'temp' allowance, hence removal os seat belts needs to be ignored unless its permanent. I have had my GQ changed to a 5 seater from a 7, so maybe pulling the seats out for a 'lap' would be OK?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (1st March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate the valuable input on this.
    Given it will just be the 2 of us and a car full of gear, I think we can be convincing about the temporary, holiday, status.
    I will put some extra funds aside just in case.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mc4by For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (1st March 2019), the evil twin (1st March 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True re SA, my 100 series LC has row 2 and 3 seats removed temporarily for 7 years. The row 2 seats can be refitted in 20 mins, most of that time spent looking for the carefully labeled fitting bolts.
    Since my cargo barrier is between row 2 and 3 I have some decent ratchet straps organised to bundle the second row stores together to locate and stop things from transferring in the event of sudden stops, sideways rolls.
    I may eventually get another cargo barrier one day, to complete things.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cradoka For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (1st March 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have recently had a modification plate done on my wagon, due to the seats not being in for some time and not likely going back in. It cost around $150 and was told that the insurance company may not pay out on a claim if the seats weren`t in with out the mod plate. Bit of useful info to you, maybe.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghosts For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (1st March 2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast