Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Snow Chains on Big Tyres

Hey guys,

New to the forum (see intro thread!) and hoping I've posted this in the right place!

Looking for advice on snow chains (from England so not very clued up on cold!)

I have 33/12.5/15s on my 1989 Y60 Patrol but they need changing soon. So:

- do people think I need chains? Going up to the mountains ++ in winter for skiing and winter mountaineering
    - are there particular types of tyres that work better with chains/can't be used with chains?
    - is there a standard sizing system for snow chains? Guessing I would need 'big' for mine!
    - any ideas of good places to buy chains in NZ (or someone selling!!?)

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unsure if the resorts in NZ require carrying and fitting of chains, however in Aust you must carry diamond pattern, not ladder. I have Piranah brand sets for front and rear, always have at least one set permanently mounted on rear wheel carrier for use more with clay/mud than ice/snow. I find tyre pressure is a better air in snow than chains. I run 33x10.5R15s with 1" body lift and clearance is not a problem, however my suspension is stiff - if you have a flexy suspension I think you might contact the outer guards or flares in some instances. I also have a set of HD laddr chains and these work effectively in mud as well and are a heavier chain to the Piranah units. I would try to find a set local for sure as they are heavy to ship. Also, give them a liberal spray with WD40/CRC or the like to keep the corrosion in check and make sure you fit them in the driveway first to ensure the process is understood and they actually fit - I had to add a couple of links to mine to match the circumference dimension on the 33's. I think they were around the $275 a pair new, but I picked up mine off a guy for $250 for both, complete in plastic storage box.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

hoobnoob (24th February 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hire a set before you buy. Most chain hire places (here in Australia) will take the chains out to the carpark, show you how to fit them, and ensure they fit. Too late to find out that you have the wrong ones once you are slipping and sliding!

Ideally the chains should go on the front of a 4WD (IMHO). That way you have traction and steering. I know some owner manuals say to fit them on the back only - but - up to you.

As PB states - sometimes there is not enough clearance between the tyre and the guard or brake calipers, etc. The hire guy will work that out for you.

Once you have hired a set and they fit properly, record the make and size and then buy a set. All the hard work is done for you.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated!

Do you know which tyres work best in snow? Can I buy specific snow tyres at this size in NZ (33/12.5/15) or are ATs better for snow? Can I run snow chains with MTs if I end up with MTs??

MAny thanks in advance.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoobnoob View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated!

Do you know which tyres work best in snow? Can I buy specific snow tyres at this size in NZ (33/12.5/15) or are ATs better for snow? Can I run snow chains with MTs if I end up with MTs??

MAny thanks in advance.
    MTs are better in snow. Last season I drove through virgin sections that were maybe 2-3 foot deep. It was a task, but fun, not sure how much easier it would have been with chains in deep snow. I know they would have been handy on the icier sections though.

But I've never used chains so take my words with a grain of salt.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet, well I've ended up going for MTs partly because they're much cheaper in NZ and partly on advice above