Thread: Part number for 24v TPS?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part number for 24v TPS?

Hi folks

After a part number for a 24v Throttle Position Sensor for a 1990 Safari TD42 auto.

Mine has started showing issues going into TC lockup and staying there when before she would stay in lockup no bother. A manual lockup switch has been on the cards for a while anyway but I'm in a Safari group on Faceache and a guy with similar issues said replacing the TPS sorted it.

Cheers in advance.
    1990 4.2 Diesel SWB Safari MT - 2" lift + long travel shocks, 33" MTs, -35 Steelies, 17000lb winch, Steel bumpers, Rock sliders, Snorkel, CB, Manual hubs, LED lightbar, Rear secure drawer, Rear drop down table, Manual gearbox conversion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Download and install Nissan Fast from here, it should give you a part number

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...+fast+software
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrbeast View Post
    Hi folks

After a part number for a 24v Throttle Position Sensor for a 1990 Safari TD42 auto.

Mine has started showing issues going into TC lockup and staying there when before she would stay in lockup no bother. A manual lockup switch has been on the cards for a while anyway but I'm in a Safari group on Faceache and a guy with similar issues said replacing the TPS sorted it.

Cheers in advance.
    The TPS generally runs on 5v and is easy to test with a voltmeter before you throw your money away.

It might simply be the TPS that needs slight adjusting but a TC lockup without the manual override very rarely stays in lockup if you accelerate. It's designed that way to avoid the torque making the flimsy lockup clutch slip.
    Are you perhaps applying more pedal than before because of extra weight or slight loss of power for some reason? That would force the TC to unlock if it were locked..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very happy with how the lockup functions normally bud, we're talking a complete change in characteristics, if I back off on the pedal it goes back into overdrive and bizarrely pops back into lockup when you apply the pedal... when it's not rapidly dropping in and out of lockup.

I've been looking at how you test the TPS although the testing I saw seemed to be checking resistance across pins?

Saw a suggestion to unplug the tps and see out she'll go into lockup? If she does then a good sign tps is having issues
    1990 4.2 Diesel SWB Safari MT - 2" lift + long travel shocks, 33" MTs, -35 Steelies, 17000lb winch, Steel bumpers, Rock sliders, Snorkel, CB, Manual hubs, LED lightbar, Rear secure drawer, Rear drop down table, Manual gearbox conversion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's completely normal behaviour for a locked TC. If you release the pedal, the TC unlocks so it doesn't get subjected to engine braking forces. Similarly, if you increase the TPS voltage by pushing the pedal without the road speed rising, it will cut out the lockup.

As mentioned in my previous post, it's easy to test with a voltmeter. You should have 0.4v to 0.6v at closed throttle gradually (do it slowly so you can see any sudden drop on the voltmeter) rising to ~4.5v.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, I appreciate the help but I know lockup is not functioning as normal. I've had her a few years now and the characteristics have definitely changed in the past week.

When I say I'm backing off the pedal I'm meaning only slightly. I used to cruise happily in lockup at 1800 revs (and lower), now she drops into overdrive if I go down that low.

Where should I be measuring the voltage? I'm assuming I'd need to cut into wires at the connector to do that?
    Last edited by Barrbeast; 12th February 2019 at 09:43 AM.