Hybrid View

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Provent oil drain

Checking for a place to return oil from the Provent, I found the oil return pipe for the turbo connects to the "upper" sump.
    Has anyone used this connection for oil return?? and is this pipe under pressure??
    It seems oil collection/disposal is a common issue.

Any comments welcome.
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i ran the drain hose down to the left chassis rail and its tucked behind the rubber splash shield. to drain it i fold up the rubber shield and pull out the drain hose and drain it into a bottle.
    im not keen to have the return go back to the engine after one time in winter the catch can oil was milky due to condensation.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - I agree. I would rather drain it than put it back into my engine. I (or my mechanic) drain it during an oil change. It's not an issue.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oil disposal isn't really an issue. Just drain the can at every oil change and dispose of the oil with the old sump oil. I have the hose with a ball valve running down and coming out in the inner front guard and its secured to the sway bar bracket on the chassis rail.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Dr Gary (11th February 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments. Seems the common solution here is hose and valve down the side.
    I did research Mann (the Provent maker) and they suggest either return oil to the sump, or vent the "cleaned" air to the atmosphere. Either way, there is minimal oil build-up in the catch can.
    I think (but do not know) that blocking both oil drain and return air has some effect on the way the Provent works. Return air is under back pressure from crankcase pressure. More work to do
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gary View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Seems the common solution here is hose and valve down the side.
    I did research Mann (the Provent maker) and they suggest either return oil to the sump, or vent the "cleaned" air to the atmosphere. Either way, there is minimal oil build-up in the catch can.
    I think (but do not know) that blocking both oil drain and return air has some effect on the way the Provent works. Return air is under back pressure from crankcase pressure. More work to do
    Venting into the atmosphere is illegal and if caught you will see a hefty fine. Even running a catch can is illegal, as the old laws have not been changed since the invention of a closed circuit system rather than an open circuit. I had to remove my Provent when I had the Patrol engineered.
    The extra work required to plumb it into the sump, you will need a non return valve too, its seriously not worth it. It takes minutes to turn the tap on and drain it when you do a service.
    But its your car, your choice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Bidja (12th February 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Even running a catch can is illegal, as the old laws have not been changed since the invention of a closed circuit system rather than an open circuit.
    They are not illegal - at least in Queensland. I enquired with TMR in October last year and this is their response:

Thank you for contacting the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) about aftermarket oil separate/catch cans.

The Vehicle Safety Standards Branch of the Department of Infrastructure and Transport, in Canberra, administers the Motor Vehicle Standards Act that requires all vehicles, when first supplied to the market, comply with all applicable Australian Design Rules (ADRs). The ADRs set the minimum safety and emission standards for vehicles. However, Queensland legislation requires that vehicles continue to comply with the ADRs applicable when the vehicle was first supplied to the market in order for them to be registered.

This modification would not require certification or approval from TMR providing the oil separator/catch can does not increase the gas emissions beyond the requirements in the ADRs and does not vent to the atmosphere.

Please find attached link to ADR79/04 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/F2011L02016

I trust this information is of assistance.

Kind regards,
    Peter
    Vehicle Standards | Standards and Accreditation
    Transport Regulation Branch | Department of Transport and Main Roads
    Floor 9 | 61 Mary Street Brisbane 4000
    PO Box 673 | Fortitude Valley Qld 4006
    P: 13 23 80
    E: vehiclestandards@tmr.qld.gov.au
    W: www.tmr.qld.gov.au

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brissieboy View Post
    They are not illegal - at least in Queensland. I enquired with TMR in October last year and this is their response:

Thank you for contacting the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) about aftermarket oil separate/catch cans.

The Vehicle Safety Standards Branch of the Department of Infrastructure and Transport, in Canberra, administers the Motor Vehicle Standards Act that requires all vehicles, when first supplied to the market, comply with all applicable Australian Design Rules (ADRs). The ADRs set the minimum safety and emission standards for vehicles. However, Queensland legislation requires that vehicles continue to comply with the ADRs applicable when the vehicle was first supplied to the market in order for them to be registered.

This modification would not require certification or approval from TMR providing the oil separator/catch can does not increase the gas emissions beyond the requirements in the ADRs and does not vent to the atmosphere.

Please find attached link to ADR79/04 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Series/F2011L02016

I trust this information is of assistance.

Kind regards,
    Peter
    Vehicle Standards | Standards and Accreditation
    Transport Regulation Branch | Department of Transport and Main Roads
    Floor 9 | 61 Mary Street Brisbane 4000
    PO Box 673 | Fortitude Valley Qld 4006
    P: 13 23 80
    E: vehiclestandards@tmr.qld.gov.au
    W: www.tmr.qld.gov.au
    Yeah quite possible they have finally update the rules then. My Patrol was engineered maybe two years ago, in Vic too.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exactly what @mudski said.
    It's a no brainer. My kit from Provent came with the hose and valve ... Simple.
    Drain every service. Easily accessible.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Bidja (12th February 2019), Dr Gary (20th February 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A picture is worth a 1,000 words. Thanks for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast