Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for laptop modem in fringe 3g network

Thanks
    Thanked 7,985 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cel-Fi units are very good but expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

http://cel-fi.com.au

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (6th February 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One option might be to try one of these, might extend the range -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-WiFi...frcectupt=true

If that does not work you may need a directional antenna with more gain. One way to do it is with the adapter above connected to a directional antenna (known as a Yagi) similar to this (could not find an aussie supplier on ebay though) -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Outdoor-...KTAencw%2FotGD

Connect the adapter to the laptop via a CAT 5 cable using CAT to USB adapters -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-UTP-...YE~S:rk:6:pf:0

Should look like this
    Untitled.jpg

Might not need the antenna, the WiFi adapter up on a pole might be enough.

I have used the same setup to connect to free wifi from our local library which is around 500 meters from home. Stick the antenna up as high as you can.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post
    One option might be to try one of these, might extend the range -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-WiFi...frcectupt=true

If that does not work you may need a directional antenna with more gain. One way to do it is with the adapter above connected to a directional antenna (known as a Yagi) similar to this (could not find an aussie supplier on ebay though) -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Outdoor-...KTAencw%2FotGD

Connect the adapter to the laptop via a CAT 5 cable using CAT to USB adapters -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-UTP-...YE~S:rk:6:pf:0

Should look like this
    Untitled.jpg

Might not need the antenna, the WiFi adapter up on a pole might be enough.

I have used the same setup to connect to free wifi from our local library which is around 500 meters from home. Stick the antenna up as high as you can.
    Thanks for this. Unfortunately i am on a remote minesite and getting the antenna to site then fixed to a 'company donga' is going to be difficult. i am looking at the cel-fi units to be honest as i can purchase one as a legit business aid, and get the unit that can be vehicle mounted as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

VK2FMIA (6th February 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, bit the bullet and purchased the Cel-Fi system, bought the mobile 4wd pack with both long range/flat country antenna and the shorter antenna for hilly country, plus add the 'Donga' magnetic base external antenna and 240v ac powerpack. What I like about this system is that it amplifies the signal to provide a 900m2 coverage so if you are outside the vehicle within range you still get the benefit. Additionally the mobile phone cane be used without a cradle, which is the current system I have and the charger connection to the cradle is problematic to say the least. Finally it goes without saying that the phone cant be used whilst mobile unless hands free. I will let you all know how it pans out for both installations, but it will be the stationary installation first, then maybe 12 months for the mobile, if i am lucky enough to escape the mine!

Thanks guys for the input, good to get the feedback so an informed decision can be made.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

TPC (7th February 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on antennas, was lucky that the antenna manufacturer had just upgraded the bases of both the long and compact antennas so I can run a single base and coax and just swap the tips instead of running into a manual switch box and then into the amplifier. It remains to be seen if the gains will translate in the same way we see at 477mhz for these antennas operating in the 900 - 1800mhz band, effective gain difference may be negligible. Total package ran out at $1235 delivered

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New Cel-Fi system arrived today. 2 antennas for the truck external - receive, plus the internal transmit antenna to the phP1080849.JPGone. Surprised at how small the actual static antenna is for use in the Donga at site. Its a similar setup, sharktooth magnetic antenna mounted on external roof and small internal transmit antenna for the phone.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, got to site today, and the biggest challenge for the system was finding a way to get the cable for the external antenna thru the wall - yes, poke a hole thru the flyscreen and magnifico!

Hooked up the cables, checked the signal strength on my iPhone - hovering between 0 and 1 bar out of 5. The external antenna is mounted on the corner of the donga about 8ft off the ground and its the furtherest from the tower. Its a 3G signal. Internal antenna is hanging off the curtain rail. Turned the unit on, let it go thru its registration process and updates, then rechecked the iPhone, signal strength 5/5. Set up the mobile hotspot off the phne and away its going. Could not be happier, highly recommend it at this point. It will be used on the truck once I finish here with the mobile antennas, so might buy some additional hardware like another internal antenna and set it up so all I need to swap out is the Cel-fi unit itself. Thanks @TPC.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (20th February 2019), Plasnart (20th February 2019), TPC (20th February 2019), VK2FMIA (21st February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sell Access.....
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (20th February 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Sell Access.....
    Nah, if someone gets the benefit thats fine.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of an update, been using the system over the last couple of nights. Whilst the signal strength is amplified its still a 3G service and download of high graphic sites is painfully slow to initiate - once the link is made the data is 'ok' for web browsing. NP site for example takes around 5 minutes to open the front page, which can be deceiving that nothing is happening. Voice use however is great, clear as a bell. I have also found that using the iphone as a hotspot requires it being connected by a cable to the laptop to get the secure connection. Trying to connect via wifi is difficult - unsure why, but the cable works perfectly. I have ordered the additional repeater/internal antenna so will be able to set up a system in the truck with only the actual CEL-FI amplifier needing to be swapped over when moving from stationary use to mobile. I will be very interested to see just what coverage is enhanced with the stick antennas and how far out into the bush I can still get service.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Clunk (22nd February 2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast