Thread: GQ Frog :D

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ Frog :D

Hi all. I like to show U my green frog it's a 1989 nissan patrol y60 wagon ( or a GQ as i see it's called here) im the third owner of the car, first was a guy in belgium and the car then drove to PL and the guy that i bought it from. In PL car was towing a trailer with a horse, did some driving as a pilot car ( they convoyed combine harversters) and was also the third car in the family. Now its mine and i hope to have it for a long time. Frog is a cargo truck without back windows (and there were no back seats, but the previous owner put in seats from an audi or vw) "frog" has done almost 412,000 kms but the engine was replaced after a little explosion in the RD28T... the new engine has maybe half of the body's mileage... Timing belt, water pump, pulley, clutch, & iron man shocks were all installed new 20K km ago (as the previous owner said) i gave my frog new oil in the engine, gearbox, and the transfer case, new transfer case front and back seals, alternator and power steering belts, and i repaired a few electrical problems. Frog has got two set of wheels, 31" a/t's and 32 m/t's - the plan is to sell both sets and buy a new set of 33" a/t's
    Now maybe some pics:
    The First day, when i bought her:

I was looking for something to do under the car funny thing is that when i cleaned everything under thecar, there was 97kg of dry mud.
    Inside there are front patrol seats and a back seat from an audi or vw. Everything is done in woodland camo

Now the best part.... Suspension...
    The Previous owner said that the suspension was too soft so he welded in some kind of support or something on axles and put in shorter springs.....

Now i'm collecting the parts to restore everything to the light side of the force .
    I have front and rear axle tubes, iron man 2" springs, a few polybushes, and much more..

Now. The frame was cleaned, i cut some rust out, and welded in a new part. Whole frame was painted with epoxy primer and black rubber paint so i know that the frame is now in good condition ( i must clean her inside and put some paint in there too) i've changed the fuel hose from the tank to the fuel filter cause it had a little leak.
    another few leaks:

that was first that was repaired 'cause the previous owner was just using the car, so the oil from t/case was leaking and leaking and t/case was almost dry..
    Second thing was the weak points on the frame. One was hidden in the mud:

whole element was cut out and i welded in a new bit.

(i know my welding isnt perfect ) next, whole frame was cleaned and i put on it rust stop liquid, and after 24 hours epoxy primer, and rubber conservation. Unfortunately i dont have a place to take the body off the frame so i must work piece by piece...
    As U can see the whole bottom of the car was covered in mud.. There was A LOT of mud when i cleaned it up and swept all the mud away from my under car, there was 97kg of dry muuuudddd :P

U can see on the picture that between fuel tank and its cover there was only muuudddd:

The tank and its cover was also cleaned up and painted.
    Previous owner said that the diff lock isnt working 'cause he could not turn it off... so they disassembled everything:

After few days and nights, rear suspension is almost done... almost cause i welded diff lock actuator and it works for a while but i think that welding burned rubber inside and after i put everything together it doesnt work i bought used one but it arrive to me tuesday with front axle tube..
    few pics:

i did not know that whole axle is so heavy...

...mentioned diff lock actuator...

and rear calipers repair kit, brake pads:

and finished calipers:

... still waiting for new diff lock actuator so i put new brake lines:

Finally, the actuator arrived today and it's on the car already. Tomorrow also the brake force regulator will be here and if everything works fine the back of the car will be done. Second thing to do will be the front.. The axle tube arrived and it's cleaned and painted now:

Some news
    My holidays have ended so my time to work with the car also ended.. But!!
    I have a few days to do something:

but when I disassembled whole axle, everything looks like this:

All seals are dead, water and rust everywhere... When I put car on jack the front wheels were shaking... OMG!!! I love this job...

Mix of sand, oil, water nad grease...
    Today i dissasemble rest of the axle, and put everything in place with new axle:

Finally !! My "frog" is working.. and its working fine. Difference between old suspension with dead seals and bearings and everything new with 2" coils and spacers is gigant... few pics from work:

Before:

After:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Animal89 For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (20th January 2019), Thingy (3rd August 2020), Woof (21st January 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few shots:

Unfortunately i had car accident.. Icy road.., turn.. and i landed back in the ditch and roll over in the air.. Fortunately on wheels.

Frame is fortunately in one straight piece, back of body was twisted, front rim also, and steering rack. Flatbed truck drived me home and car is in garage now. I was thinking to sell the car or to change body... but when i was watching 4wd action movies on YT i have found THIS!!!
    https://www.redarc.com.au/Content/Im...%20vehicle.jpg
    I want to have something like this sooo ute project starts now

now whole electrical is out, fuel tank also.

We have Christmas now so I dont have much time to work with car, but every evening I'm in the garage
    I had some problems with engine, it wasn't working properly, idle was on 2k rpm's it can't start few times... So we used spray called "start helper" and after big boom engine is working idle is adjusted and after a month in garage my beast was on little walk

Whole wall was from Fiat Ducato I bought it used so it's a little "tired" but it will be covered by canopy.
    i bought front wheel, change tire and finally first drive

i had some time to play with photoshop and now i see how its gonna be :

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Animal89 For This Useful Post:

Clunk (20th January 2019), rusty_nail (20th January 2019), Wine_maker (21st January 2019), Woof (21st January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks great mate!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks mate. But its only project, just in my head A lot of work is waiting for me... Now im fighting with rust on body, under the body, inside the body, outside the body :P Whole electrical wiring on the back of the car must be new.. and a lot of things also...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Animal89 View Post
    thanks mate. But its only project, just in my head A lot of work is waiting for me... Now im fighting with rust on body, under the body, inside the body, outside the body Whole electrical wiring on the back of the car must be new.. and a lot of things also...
    Do U guys get salt on your roads for ice? We mostly get rust in the gutters here. Yours looks good with the chop mate, lots of people do it here too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah we get salt... And after winter we're washing whole chassis from salt and check if everything is ok.. There was also a plan to buy whole body shell, weld it and put on my frame but after all this is my car and i want to repair it..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Animal89 For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (21st January 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    little up. last few days i was working with floor under passenger and driver legs... There was big hole on both sides so i cut everything and weld new floor. Also front of car needed some welding...

my welder is slowly dying so my welding isnt good
    but whole front is repaired and put together.. so i took my frog on little walk
    a

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Animal89 For This Useful Post:

Woof (21st January 2019)