Thread: Legal Lift Height

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blowngq View Post
    My understanding if the NCOP was accepted by all states & territories then an engineering cert would be good australia wide. But as it stands now every state has it's own set of rules & regs which in turn is why for e.g. my engineering cert is only good in NSW.

If the NCOP comes in mine would still only be good for NSW as it was engineered pre NCOP. So I would have to get it re-engineered. But from what I've read I think I would have to drop the lift to 4" as it would only be allowed to be 150mm max lift including tyres.
    Soooo is it possible to get a modified vehicle engineered to the same standard as a new Holden Commonhore or Ford if that makes sense (am i clasping at straws?) hahaha

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Soooo is it possible to get a modified vehicle engineered to the same standard as a new Holden Commonhore or Ford if that makes sense (am i clasping at straws?) hahaha
    You kinda lost me with that one. There is a set of rules that the vehicle being engineered has to meet. If it meets all those rules then it gets engineered.
    The conspiracy theorists were right!

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'm tryin to say I spose is if u can get a modified vehicle engineered so that it meets all the standards a new car is required to have, regardless of a states different regs it should be "legal" so if I drive from Adelaide to cape York in my lifted but engineered and certified vehicle I wouldn't expect to be busted traveling through Vic Nsw or Qld. Does that make sense??

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'm tryin to say I spose is if u can get a modified vehicle engineered so that it meets all the standards a new car is required to have, regardless of a states different regs it should be "legal" so if I drive from Adelaide to cape York in my lifted but engineered and certified vehicle I wouldn't expect to be busted traveling through Vic Nsw or Qld. Does that make sense??
    Yes it does make sense but unfortunately that would be common sense 2 make 1 standard for the whole of Australia, none of those making the rules up have any. States should never of been aloud 2 have different regs from each other, there should be one standard and one standard only!
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What ever happened to being licensed to drive a certain type of vehicle? No matter what lift, what height, etc, if it meets ADR's and sound engineering practices, then wouldn't the logical thing to do be license you accordingly for a specific type of vehicle?? There are buses etc on our roads, and the last time I looked, every single startrak express courier van is bigger and higher (roofline yes) than my car ... don't you have to have a specific license to drive a bus, or articulated vehicle?? So why not (so long as the lift is engineered) license 4wder's for that type of vehicle?? I'd much rather pay an extra on my rego (to a degree) every year for the benefit of being able to drive my rig - we pay at the pump now for petrol over driving a Mazda 3, so it is apparent we are happy to wear some form of additional cost to drive our cars and have our outdoors lifestyle. You with me? Haven't been on all day and typing this before I get back on a plane to Brisbane, but what I'm suggesting places the onus on the driver, raises additional revenue for the government (as that is essentially all they are about), and dramatically reduces the costs associated with "trying" to police compliance - I'd rather coppers dealing with ... I dunno ... Crimes!! than worrying about pulling a tape measure out and enforcing vehicle 'height' compliance. I'm not giving up my 4" lift without a fight - simple as that. You've all seen photos of my rig (or seen it first hand) and please explain to me how it is potentially illegal when every single item on it is better than the original equipment - and safer!!!!

Rant over - boarding now!! lmao

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

snicko (2nd June 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    What ever happened to being licensed to drive a certain type of vehicle? No matter what lift, what height, etc, if it meets ADR's and sound engineering practices, then wouldn't the logical thing to do be license you accordingly for a specific type of vehicle?? There are buses etc on our roads, and the last time I looked, every single startrak express courier van is bigger and higher (roofline yes) than my car ... don't you have to have a specific license to drive a bus, or articulated vehicle?? So why not (so long as the lift is engineered) license 4wder's for that type of vehicle?? I'd much rather pay an extra on my rego (to a degree) every year for the benefit of being able to drive my rig - we pay at the pump now for petrol over driving a Mazda 3, so it is apparent we are happy to wear some form of additional cost to drive our cars and have our outdoors lifestyle. You with me? Haven't been on all day and typing this before I get back on a plane to Brisbane, but what I'm suggesting places the onus on the driver, raises additional revenue for the government (as that is essentially all they are about), and dramatically reduces the costs associated with "trying" to police compliance - I'd rather coppers dealing with ... I dunno ... Crimes!! than worrying about pulling a tape measure out and enforcing vehicle 'height' compliance. I'm not giving up my 4" lift without a fight - simple as that. You've all seen photos of my rig (or seen it first hand) and please explain to me how it is potentially illegal when every single item on it is better than the original equipment - and safer!!!!

I agree with you 100% Bigrig. But unfortunately it's the do-gooders that have control atm. & do-gooders seem to have no common sense. My rig is 100% cert & legal,well in NSW anyways & there's still people out there that want to shoot me & others like me down for just wanting to get out & about on some of the more extreme tracks. As far as bigger tyred & lifted rigs wrecking the tracks that's total nonsense. It's the irresponsible peanut behind the wheel that causes that. Some of the tracks that I drive would not be able to be done in something with a 2" lift & the track was that way from the start not been chewed into that from mine or my mates bigger rigs running it.

I think it comes down to a lot don't like the handling characteristics of rigs with big lifts n'tyres so they think if they can't or don't want it no one else should be able to. In the end we are all into the same thing 4wding, either it be touring,mild tracks or those tracks from hell so why the hell do they need to feel they have to shoot down the big rig brigade.

In what ever thing your into you are going to get that certain element that ruins it for everyone else.

Oh yea bigrig we are still getting my mates gu up & running probably won't be finished till end of july/august but its getting a fresh td42 big turbo,37's 4.6's 6" lift lockers front & rear & all the other usual stuff so we should have a good time when we hit cruiser park.

Cheers Jono.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see what you mean now but that would be impossible as emissions would kill us to start with. then there's air bags & the list go's on. Hence the NCOP if every state was to adopt this you could then drive all over Australia without fear of getting a defect in another state.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why not (so long as the lift is engineered) license 4wder's for that type of vehicle??
    Sorry Scotty I disagree with you on this one, regardless if someone have passed a test, doesn't mean they can drive. Probable 50% of licensed drivers on the road here should have there license taken back of them.

So does this mean someone that drives a "normal" car should also need 2 pass a license for the particular car they drive????. I understand that when you lift the 4b it changes the center of gravity / handling etc.... but why do i need another license 2 drive a 4wd raised or standard for that matter as it is higher standard than a "normal" car.

I have a car, heavy rigid ( HR in NSW ) and bike license, doesn't mean i can drive or ride *L*

I'd much rather pay an extra on my rego (to a degree) every year for the benefit of being able to drive my rig
    I certainly don't want 2 pay more, We already pay extra for the benifit of driving our rigs.

Sorry end of my rant
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Silver (3rd June 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddrhind View Post
    Sorry Scotty I disagree with you on this one, regardless if someone have passed a test, doesn't mean they can drive. Probable 50% of licensed drivers on the road here should have there license taken back of them.

So does this mean someone that drives a "normal" car should also need 2 pass a license for the particular car they drive????. I understand that when you lift the 4b it changes the center of gravity / handling etc.... but why do i need another license 2 drive a 4wd raised or standard for that matter as it is higher standard than a "normal" car.

I have a car, heavy rigid ( HR in NSW ) and bike license, doesn't mean i can drive or ride *L*

I certainly don't want 2 pay more, We already pay extra for the benifit of driving our rigs.

Sorry end of my rant
    Understood mate - but you missed my point I think. I meant there has to be a better way to police/authorise/license than blanket prohibition of anything over 50mm. There are places that are listed as gazetted roads in this country where 50mm (either tyres, suspension or a combination of both) won't get you through ... and there are cars (using mine as an example here) that have 5"'s with tyres and suspension over original height that are now safer, stronger and better to drive than when they were stock - AND they don't look like comp trucks!! All I'm getting at is there has to be a better solution than a blanket policy on "height" - I could have a car that meets that requirement, yet have bought and imported dodgy brothers suspension from overseas and fitted it myself - so the cops stop me now, but if I had that setup, I'd probably never get pinged!! (and yes I know, until an accident and insurance doesn't cover me ... blah, blah, blah ... lol).

I just don't think common sense will prevail on this one, and if we don't act as one voice of reason, then don't worry about road closures because things like a serious trip to the cape etc will be things of the past ...

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be interesting to see what cornering speed The Stig could achieve in the Tank and in Silver (the latter a standard height GQ) on dry and wet blacktop.

maybe the license you propose BigRig, would reflect competency achieved on blacktop

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast