Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    This would work great too mate, if you dont want the scoop just fill it in.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NE....c100009.m1982
    Thanks darren, just got off the phone with the VASS engineer and he is happy either way, body lift or bonnet scoop as long as 1) total lift rule of 3" lift for vehicle is not exceeded, or 2) the scoop is not more than 80mm higher than the bonnet. So, just need to procrastinate a bit longer and then pull the trigger, one way or the other. The greatest issue I have is not knowing how much of te 25mm clearance claim is real or a myth - could be 10mm, could be 15mm - important to know when you are doing stuff like this. Also, there are no definitive dimensions for how wide the and exactly where the interference zones are - just simply hard to get to the bottom of. The guy I am using in WA as the basis for this build did the body lift before the s/c installation so he could run larger diameter tyres, so his validation is not that sound either as the s/c installation fitted by default but does not prove its entirely necessary - very frustrating. I have the mounts here already so might just go ahead and do then unless i hear back today from a bonnet fabricator with a solution with 100% certainty. Thanks for the photos as well, the last one again would take some massaging and yes I would get it done by a fibreglasser for sure - its not my skillset.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2" lift + 33s You are at 3"

Scoop or the like may be the way to go
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My scoop dimension provided earlier. Face opening to the rear, keep crap out of eng bay and help to keep under bonnet cooler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Thanks darren, just got off the phone with the VASS engineer and he is happy either way, body lift or bonnet scoop as long as 1) total lift rule of 3" lift for vehicle is not exceeded, or 2) the scoop is not more than 80mm higher than the bonnet. So, just need to procrastinate a bit longer and then pull the trigger, one way or the other. The greatest issue I have is not knowing how much of te 25mm clearance claim is real or a myth - could be 10mm, could be 15mm - important to know when you are doing stuff like this. Also, there are no definitive dimensions for how wide the and exactly where the interference zones are - just simply hard to get to the bottom of. The guy I am using in WA as the basis for this build did the body lift before the s/c installation so he could run larger diameter tyres, so his validation is not that sound either as the s/c installation fitted by default but does not prove its entirely necessary - very frustrating. I have the mounts here already so might just go ahead and do then unless i hear back today from a bonnet fabricator with a solution with 100% certainty. Thanks for the photos as well, the last one again would take some massaging and yes I would get it done by a fibreglasser for sure - its not my skillset.
    Yeah i thin the Bonnet is a better way to go to be honest. if you are trying to stay with the total of 3" lift then as Bidja says your already there with your 2" spring and 1" tyre lift. 2" spring is always better than 1" spring and 1" body lift IMO.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys, the VASS engineer is going to sign off on the 1" body lift. I could do the scoop as long at its not higher than 80mm above the bonnet. Speaking with Brunswick Diesels again this morning they simply cannot give any guidance as to where specifically the clash points are - story keeps changing, vague, but they know the body lift fixes everything with the clearance so i am backed into a corner. I have started on removal of the body lift bolts, both sides done except pass side rear corner that appears to be spinning a nut in its retainer, and the two fronts remain for tomorrow to remove then start the reassembly.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    My scoop dimension provided earlier. Face opening to the rear, keep crap out of eng bay and help to keep under bonnet cooler.
    Based on the photos I have of a completed installation, this scoop is still too narrow to give me clearance across the front of the engine, so appreciate all the input but does not help me unfortunately.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad I was able to help out in some way.

Would not like to cut a hole much bigger in my bonnet, it is a pity they are so vague in providing positional dimensions. Sounds like it cuts a very fine line between go / no go. Good luck.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Glad I was able to help out in some way.

Would not like to cut a hole much bigger in my bonnet, it is a pity they are so vague in providing positional dimensions. Sounds like it cuts a very fine line between go / no go. Good luck.
    Yep, dealing with these guys is like juggling hot sand at times! One of their mechanics told me they have done fibreglass bonnet scoops and complete bonnets ex WA, but the owner can't or wont disclose who dd it, so bit disappointing as the scoop would have been neater and less problematic as you guys have mentioned.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys, the VASS engineer is going to sign off on the 1" body lift. I could do the scoop as long at its not higher than 80mm above the bonnet. Speaking with Brunswick Diesels again this morning they simply cannot give any guidance as to where specifically the clash points are - story keeps changing, vague, but they know the body lift fixes everything with the clearance so i am backed into a corner. I have started on removal of the body lift bolts, both sides done except pass side rear corner that appears to be spinning a nut in its retainer, and the two fronts remain for tomorrow to remove then start the reassembly.
    Has the VASS Engineer assumed you have a 2" lift only? I am assuming you have 2" lift and 33s making a total of 3" lift already giving you no allowance for the body lift?

If the above is correct you could get the charger on with a 25mm BL running 31s for Engineering then deal with the bonnet once its all done. Remove the BL and do the bonnet then and stay legal.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bidja (14th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, dealing with these guys is like juggling hot sand at times! One of their mechanics told me they have done fibreglass bonnet scoops and complete bonnets ex WA, but the owner can't or wont disclose who dd it, so bit disappointing as the scoop would have been neater and less problematic as you guys have mentioned.
    Wonder if they would give you a rolled up plan cut out template or some clearance plan x-y axis dimensions.

Easy to cut out bonnet skin from top and ribs from underneath with 1mm thick cutting wheel with angle grinder.

Just a thought.

Off to work in the vegie patch.
    John

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast