Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I do know a good fibreglasser / boat repairer who could help you Phil but he is down this way in Boolarra. Let me know if you want his number.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Thanks Chris, will let you know. I need to find out what i can do first then take that path. really dont want the body lift, but have the bits in hand to do it anyway.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    He would sell you a scoop by its self. Did all the early design work and welder at Cross Country early days.
    That sounds interesting for sure. I reckon I only have two small spots where its going to be close, on centreline of bonnet and 75mm back from bonnet fold and then on passenger side where a/c sits, I have attached a couple of photos of an installation done already. What is deceiving is the fan coIMG_6129.jpgIMG_6128.jpgIMG_6127.jpgwl is not standard so it all looks lie it will fit, but thats where the trap is. The bit that confuses me is the oil filler cap is higher than the snout, yet the claim is it will touch the bonnet, plus interference with the a/c on passenger side - looks low to me.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 13th January 2019 at 07:42 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (1st May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My scoop is: width 670mm x depth 520mm with a front horizontal lip(running back) from front face of scoop of 190mm (but could be reduced if needed). Front Ht 60mm/ Rear Ht 25mm. Bonnet hole/opening width 600mm x depth 300mm.

Recon GQ/GU be the same build.
    He was working (in September) with a fiberglass guy and had a prototype of a higher profile. For the younger guys wanting to look like going faster.

He may have a damaged one that you may be able to check out (I could ask). The fasteners are threaded rod molded into the glass scoop.

Have a look at his GQ scoops:

https://www.jonnytig.com/nissan
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    My scoop is: width 670mm x depth 520mm with a front horizontal lip(running back) from front face of scoop of 190mm (but could be reduced if needed). Front Ht 60mm/ Rear Ht 25mm. Bonnet hole/opening width 600mm x depth 300mm.

Recon GQ/GU be the same build.
    He was working (in September) with a fiberglass guy and had a prototype of a higher profile. For the younger guys wanting to look like going faster.

He may have a damaged one that you may be able to check out (I could ask). The fasteners are threaded rod molded into the glass scoop.

Have a look at his GQ scoops:

https://www.jonnytig.com/nissan
    Thanks for the offer. I will see what direction the conversation takes with the VASS engineer tomorrow then make a call. I am not worried about stability with another 25mm, because the greatest mass is locked to the chassis and below it, its more the cosmetic with the bar work and if i end up with a list of 'adjustments to attend to as well. As you know, putting spacers into bar work to extend them never comes out looking 100%, regardless of who does it, plus the rails would then need to be powder coated again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Bidja (13th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need to graft a BA XR8 bonnet bulge to the middle of a GQ bonnet. Id have thought that was fairly straight forward to be honest.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    You need to graft a BA XR8 bonnet bulge to the middle of a GQ bonnet. Id have thought that was fairly straight forward to be honest.
    The area I need raised is about 3" from the front edge of the bonnet for maybe 6" max, so this is a lot of bulge to not make the whole thing look stupid. Grafting any sort of bulge is not going to be hard, finding one that does not look out of sorts is the challenge. Will see what the engineer says first, but thanks for the comment.

Just had a look at the xr8 bulge shape and its not what I need unfortunately, almost the reverse.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 13th January 2019 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is one on ebay Phil

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BA-BF-Bulge...UAAOSw5UZY~c6e

Truck scoop to be grafted

Or this.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, they look good but they are too shallow towards the front edge of the bonnet. I need 25mm high clearance , 75mm from the front edge of the bonnet. The XR* is basically flat at that point, plus it flares the wrong way as well. I have to cater for the a/c pump that sits on the passenger side - have a quick lookat the images I posted earlier in the thread. I don't have any need for the high riser back of the scoop, but might just have to live with something like this. I would like the front to be higher and taper to zero at the windscreen, unsure what this going to look like so am going to mock one up tomorrow and will psot it up for review/comments. thanks Darren

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I assumed you would fit it Backwards actually. 25mm is almost nothing. By the time you cut the structure out of theb bonnet you will have the 25mm. The top link form woyld allow you then to shape it however you want. Fibreglass is cheap once the initial form is established. Grafting that hump to the front of the bonnet then using glass to get your desired external profile woyld be the easieat outcome id have thought. Something you cohld easily do cheap at home with a second bonnet. If you dont luke it have another go or get a pro to do it but for a few $100 id probably have a go.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This would work great too mate, if you dont want the scoop just fill it in.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NE....c100009.m1982

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast