Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picked up the new Y62

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the Y62, should be a big grin on your face that's hard to change.
    We tow a 3.3T Retreat caravan (just back from 90mile beach on hols) and we use a WDH Hayman Reece setup. The tow bar fitted was requested to be the Hayman Reece to suit the Hayman Reece WDH. Nissans version had all sorts of warnings so just avoided that path. If you do go WDH and Hayman Reece, we ordered the Nissan wiring harness that simplified the install and electricals...apparently plugged into existing connectors without individually tracking down the wires and splicing them. That was just my preference and obviously not for all, I figured the less Nissan do to the car the less stuffed it is when handed over. We fitted the Firestone airbags with the Kevlar sleeves for 60psi air in the back as our towball down weight varies from 260 to 330kg depending if all 3 water tanks in the van are full etc. I tried towing with just the airbags and no WDH, wow nearly wiped the lot off in one go as the front was very light and steering authority had all but vanished. This was while travelling up a hill so some weight would've shifted aft as well making things worse. Since the WDH, no problems, no caravan sway either. Drove back last Sunday with 50klm/hr crosswind gusts while doing 100 kays (was sign posted for 110 but oddly I was chilled for a change) for 4hrs back home. One could feel the van pulling a bit with the gusts of wind but not alarmingly so and no sway induced so just kept going.
    Probably a bit long winded but just a quick summary of our setup and how it performs for ourselves.
    We recently did a 2" lift from ontrack thru Opp Lock and it seems to be more stable, odd as the CG is raised, but a real crusy drive still. The downside is with the added weight of the Opp Lock bar and Carbon Winch the added nose weight is slightly noticeable if you hoon around some corners compared to stock form.
    It's never going to be like my worked HX Monaro but I'm a bit older and enjoy the creature comforts a little more nowdays.
    Enjoy the rig.
    Cheers BruceR.
    Last edited by bjrow; 15th January 2019 at 08:55 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bjrow For This Useful Post:

1nando (16th January 2019), Bigcol (17th January 2019), MudRunnerTD (15th January 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mudrunner
    That is how the towbars look over here that I have seen

Hi ET
    I've ordered the TJM frontier bar. I wasn't fussy on the looks of the bars with the hoops. I don't use weight distribution thingys, not real keen on them. If the car is supposed to be able to handle 350 kg on the tow bar then you shouldn't need them in my opinion.

Cheers
    Bri

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey mate... you might find the y62 drags its butt like a Dog with worms with high ball loads.

If either/or are necessary I like to use Air Bags not WDH as IMHO... Air Bags are for a user who has varying loads, WDH is for a user who only has two loads "shopping trolley" as a daily and "drag queen" for draggin the house when touring.

Anyhooo... you know enough without me telling you how to suck eggs, I couldn't remember whether you were using WDH is all.

Had it long enough to wipe the smile off your face yet???
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Bri, what ever happened to the old Jheep mate?
    Went everywhere that thing
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,244 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked up the new Y62

Speaking here out of school and very jealous too of you well earned Y62 owner Legends!
    Highly variable loads regularly experienced across Y61 utes/wagons and air assist has been a saviour for us for sure!
    EDIT: Brace, brace, brace, Y61 aftermarket suspension towers. Hopefully your Y62 true beasts prove a much better design outcome for loading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 17th January 2019 at 09:24 PM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have air bags in the GU for towing the van & was happy with that so was going to see how it goes & install airbags if necessary. The van is surprisingly light for a 24 footer & the ball weight is about 200 kg. The smile is still there I've only driven it once, Julie has driven it nearly every day, I think I might have lost it. BTW it's a Ti. The more expensive model scratches just the same as the cheaper one.

Hey Woof
    I killed the jeep about 5 years ago that's why I got the GU. Radiator water in the transmission doesn't have a good effect.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brisey For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (17th January 2019), MB (17th January 2019), Woof (17th January 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to tow our 2.8T boat with a GU 4.8l 2010 (200kg tow ball weight, had airbags and tower brace), used to think it did a great job till we bought the Y62.
    It is so much more stable on the road, never thought the GU was a problem or difficult with the boat but with the 62 it is a much more relaxed drive, we just use airbags for the boat at approx. 35psi to level things out.
    You'll be in for a surprise towing your caravan when you select 3rd gear and put your foot into it!
    Cheers BruceR.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bjrow For This Useful Post:

1nando (18th January 2019), MB (18th January 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjrow View Post
    We used to tow our 2.8T boat with a GU 4.8l 2010 (200kg tow ball weight, had airbags and tower brace), used to think it did a great job till we bought the Y62.
    It is so much more stable on the road, never thought the GU was a problem or difficult with the boat but with the 62 it is a much more relaxed drive, we just use airbags for the boat at approx. 35psi to level things out.
    You'll be in for a surprise towing your caravan when you select 3rd gear and put your foot into it!
    Cheers BruceR.
    My GU is a 4.8 as well & towed the van really good, but as you say I'mexpecting the Y62 to make the job look som easy.

Cheers Bri

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Brisey For This Useful Post:

MB (20th January 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I've done the same, 3 weeks I've had this now. Absolute beast...let the mods begin...
    Manta exhaust is on so far and the tow bar, cheers to those who put up the tow bar tips in this tread.
    20190208_143150.jpg

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Hop. I've driven mine a fair bit now & love it. I am pleasantly surprised at the fuel consumption though, I was expecting it to be heavy but is averaging 12.5 L/100 over the 1500 km done so far.

Cheers
    Bri

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast