Thread: Main seal leak ??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1peter View Post
    I might yet be lucky, the oil leak seems to be almost at a stop, so it might just be the oil that leaked down from the rocker cover and has gone into the bell housing ? Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Good luck with it mate - all our fingers are firmly crossed for you!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's been a week now and i think i might have the smallest main seal leak possible. It seems that when i drive to work and back "about 26km's round trip" one drop of oil hangs off the bell housing but doesn't even fall on the concrete over night ?? I wipe it off and the same thing happens the following day.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truck is in the shop getting the main seal fixed and my brother in law has offered to pay for it "bless his heart" so i should get it back tomorrow.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought i had a rear main seal leak the other day so pulled the trans out in the driveway ,it turned out to be the front seal on the auto ,while it was out i got the torque converter reconed and did BOTH seals there is a small o ring seal on the shaft.would pay to do them while auto is out

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but too late. It is already done and mine was the main seal (no trans fluid leaking) but as you said it would have been good if the seals you speak of were replaced at the same time. Ah well, i will ask and find out if they did replace them but there was no mention of it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mate

If its still leaking and its a rear main the block after washing it will be dry above the sump and bell housing. Check the sump bolts to as these are only done up to about 8nm, as the gasket gets onlder they may need a little tweek up. Dont grunt them or they will snap off and another issue to deal with. Aquick fix for a rear main seal leak is rislone might get you a few more km's. You get it from super cheap autos in oz. Add it to the oil.It want work if you have score marks in the crank or the seal has fallen apart. I had an oil leak to and found one off the oil fillers was to loose.As the oil comming out was under pressure it was hard to find were it was comming from. Good idea to check these after the engine is hot.

Good Luck

Kel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12