Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Y62 cooling fan engaging

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need the MX version if you want to use an Ultragauge if you want oil temp and atf temp.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Gauge-MX/page2
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked out your outer posts and yep looks the goods.
    I’ll sort one after it’s checkup next week
    Cheers for the info

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys, just a quick update on the cooling fan issue, took it to Orange Nissan for its check up, got a call after 2.5 hours to come get it. I was told there’s nothing wrong with it, the reason the fan was spinning was because it’s not a electric thermo fan, the fan on these is connected to the motor with a belt.... go figure.
    This was from one of their tech guys.
    After a few words and another round of explanation, I was told I would have to bring it back for more investigation.
    So I’m now looking at taking it to another dealer. I need a tech guy who knows a bit more than how to explain to me that my car has a fan belt.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the engine is spinning of course the fan was spinning!!!
    F.F.S. what an absolute tool of a thing to say to a customer!!!

If you do go back tell them politely you aren't a moron.
    If necessary tell them to get the Manuals out if they are too stupid to know what your getting at.
    Insist you are all but convinced the Fan Coupling is faulty but as it is an electrically controlled, viscous coupled, mechanically driven Fan could they please check all of the system as "somethin' she is busted, mate".

FWIW here is the extract from the Nissan Learning Manual...

Electric / Viscous Cooling Fan
    The engine driven Cooling Fan has a viscous coupling & which is electrically operated via a
    signal from the ECM (via the IPDM E/R).
    A Fan speed sensor which sends a signal direct to the ECM is incorporated into the hub as well.
    The Fan is mounted on a pulley which is in turn driven by the auxiliary drive belt.
    The Cooling Fan is driven separately to the Water Pump.

Cooling Fan Controller
    The Cooling Fan Controller is integral with the Viscous Fan Hub assembly.
    Following inputs such as A/C operation, A/C refrigerant pressure & engine temperature, the ECM will request the
    IPDM E/R to operate the Cooling Fan Controller.
    The IPDM E/R will send a command signal to the Fan Controller to provide the appropriate Cooling Fan speed.

I haven't attached the schematic of the ECM, Canbus, IPDM, Coupling circuit... lets make them read that bit at least :-)
    Last edited by the evil twin; 20th January 2019 at 03:57 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm yeah, after his first few words, I knew I was wasting my day. I waited almost 2 weeks to have them look at it and they never even tried looking for the problems, but any way. You know when someone is talking to you and the only thing you are thinking is I wonder who ties their shoelaces because you know they don’t, that’s what I had.
    After explaining again to him, when I mentioned a loud whirring noise like a kenworth, and mentioned Horton fan and electronic clutch loss of horsepower and fuel consumption, his look just glazed over and any intelligence that might have been there disappeared. If this was their man, I don’t really need him checking my tyre pressures or oil levels, he wouldn’t get a job in my workshop emptying our bins.
    I’ll try another dealership, I might ask to see their tech first, that will decide if the car stays or I just drive off.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep... IMHO either the coupling has crapped out, maybe the speed sensor... or... the IPDM is commanding full noise 'cause it is being told to do so. If it is the latter then it can be heaps of things doing it, even what would seem like weird unrelated shit like low A/C refrigerant or dodgy A/C comp etc

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the problem with new cars, this electronic crap is not really my forte.
    I’ll hopefully get it looked at next week, I’ll write down some notes maybe they can read...

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gentlemen. I briefly read through this and recalled family friends having similar issues with their y62 last winter. His fan was going nuts at idle even with dead cold temps outside.

I messaged him to ask as they're currently in Tassie and he replied telling me the elec-magnetic clutch part of the hub was rooted and was sticking. Whole hub assembly was replaced and no issues since .
    Fwiw.
    He can provide a part picture and number after they return next month.

theirs is a 2015 y62.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Crapwelder (22nd January 2019), the evil twin (21st January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hiya Hodge,

Yep... and he isn't the only fella by a long shot.
    At least when they crap out the majority seem to crap out safe IE "always on" and not "never on"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, finally got time to get this problem sorted, took the car to Bathurst Nissan dealership last week, they had it for the day, found the fan electro clutch hub was fuc#ed (as was the consensus with you guys and others, and explained/discussed with them), they ordered the parts, Bathurst Nissan had the car today, fitted new clutch hub and done a computer reset, problem fixed. Took it for a big run this arvo no problems, works as it should, no Kenworth sounding fan in my bonnet.
    A big thanks to the Bathurst automotive group for taking the time and care to find and sort the problem out.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crapwelder For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (16th March 2019), Hodge (14th March 2019), MudRunnerTD (15th March 2019), the evil twin (15th March 2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast