Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Y62 cooling fan engaging

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y62 cooling fan engaging

Hi guys, I’m new to this so please bear with me.
    We just finished a trip to tassie and back, donearound 4000 kms, it was awesome.
    The V8 Datto is an awesome tug, smooth, comphy and power to burn.
    The car is stock except a towpro elite and redarc dc charger fitted, Nissan towbar,sand grabber floor mats and ruffnuts seat covers.
    On the trip home the fan continuously kicked in, the outside temp was 25-30 degrees, we sat on 100-110kms towing a jayco flamingo camper, let’s call it 2 ton.
    The fan dragged all the way, I thought the cooling system on these should handle this no worries considering there made for the Middle East.
    Has anyone had any of this type of problem
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,262 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is it an actual problem though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mudski, I’m thinking so, the trip down we’re the same conditions no fan, trip home fan dragging all the way, listening to the roaring of the fan from hobart to Bathurst isn’t much fun, it knocked the fuel and power around.
    I don’t think it’s right to have it engaged even going down long hills, the cooling on one of these should hardly ever kick in.
    Last edited by Crapwelder; 10th January 2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: To acknowledge the poster

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are a few owners starting to chat about fan clutch control issues on faceache...

Is your still doing the 'roar its guts out for a minute or so' on start up and then dropping out like normal?
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi The Evil Twin, it only does the fan roar on startup now and then, I drive it every day and it would be lucky to kick in on startup 5 times a week. 90 percent of the time startup is just a high idle for a few seconds then back to idle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crapwelder View Post
    Hi The Evil Twin, it only does the fan roar on startup now and then, I drive it every day and it would be lucky to kick in on startup 5 times a week. 90 percent of the time startup is just a high idle for a few seconds then back to idle.
    Hmmm... mine does its fan 'thing' every start from dead cold (which isn't all that cold in summer in Perth) :-)

I still can't break the habit of looking at the Tach 'cause it roars like the RPM is about 3,000 when it is at idle then the fan backs off and all is right with the world.

The faceachers who are having issues are saying erratic fan patterns on start is a symptom.
    From what I read last night... maybe 50% are cured purely by a visit to Mr Nissans computer and the other 50% involve a fan coupling failure/replacement.
    Most seem to be saying that they aren't having an ongoing issue IE the one visit fixes the problem.

Yours still under warranty?
    Last edited by the evil twin; 20th January 2019 at 11:15 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it’s brand new has 6000kms on it, I might have to give Nissan a ring.
    When we were on the way home it sounded like a horten fan on a kenworth, the only difference is they could turn theirs off.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crapwelder View Post
    Yeah, it’s brand new has 6000kms on it, I might have to give Nissan a ring.
    When we were on the way home it sounded like a horten fan on a kenworth, the only difference is they could turn theirs off.
    Hehehe... yeah, they certainly shift some air.

FWIW I use an ultra gauge to monitor coolant temp, oil temp and atf temp.
    The engines on these suckers (like most very late model vehicles) warm up pretty bloody quick but when that fan kicks in the temps drop even quicker :-)

Keep us all in the loop about what Mr Nissan says... faceache sucks in trying to get legit detailed info.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got to look into the gauges for it, my old BT50 had a scan gauge on it so I could check gearbox temp.
    I’ll ring Nissan tomorrow to see what they say.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crapwelder For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (10th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which ultra gauge are you running, I’ve just had a quick look, if I can find my old iphone I was thinking running the blue. I’ve noticed like the BT50 the speedos on these things are out by about 10%. I think it’s the way of slowing mainstream drivers down, the scangauge on the Mazda worked well for speed and auto temp.
    It’s funny, the Engine was not running hot and the fan was kicking in, it was cool enough to not make a differance.
    I rang mr Nissan, it’s booked in for next Friday to have a checkup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast