Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
We felt the same with a lot of the folk we met who were travelling the CSR. We met many at our camps at Well 33 & at a couple of the campgrounds in Karlamilyi NP when we were heading westward a few months ago. We were expecting folk to talk about wonderful open spaces, desert phenomena & big skies, but no, mostly it was about corrugations, how awful the track was & surviving. To be honest it has made us think twice about whether we want to ‘do’ the Canning now. Not so much because of the endurance test descriptions we heard, but because it seemed that 90+% of CSR travellers were more about conquer, survive & wear the badge. In comparison to folk we’ve met in a variety of other remote places the CSR’ers have mostly seemed like a different breed. More important to have ‘done’ than to be ‘doing’ it. To busy getting there so they can talk about the achievement afterwards than to place any investment in immersing themselves in country. Of course the tougher it sounds the bigger the badge.
Interesting observation... not one I would have thought about. Thinking back I can place a couple of groups in each camp.
On the CSR I met Gavin Gillet... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM3...OFbmi9fiMqktsw
Now while he was a heck of a nice bloke he was commercially orientated, so I guess there's another sub division of travelers.
Also we had a visit from some tour guides from one of those flash tour mobs, now they were a bunch of.... well not my cuppa tea hehe!