User Tag List

Thread: Electronic rust proofing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electronic rust proofing

I was just put onto a mob in Western Australia called CAT (i googled it, plenty of info) that supply an electronic rust proofing gizmo. Are these things any good ??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1peter View Post
    I was just put onto a mob in Western Australia called CAT (i googled it, plenty of info) that supply an electronic rust proofing gizmo. Are these things any good ??
    my opinion for what its worth they are rubbish
    i had on fitted to our new ford and the mounting screws holding it on rusted the earth lead on the other side of the engine bay has a screw and that rusted too
    after a long battle with ford i got my money back
    i say they are cr@p
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not 100% sure but I think my old man has one fitted to his GQ, and his has rust in it. Will ring him and find out if he has one or not.

Cheers

Todd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't know about the CAT II brand specifically but IF they are a genuine Unit and not a dodgy scam one with a couple of wires and a flashing LED... and... IF they are installed correctly...
    then the Science is proven and employed in many applications world wide for 30 years or more so they are valid BUT they DO NOT totally prevent or eliminate rust in the vehicle. They only slow the rusting albiet sometimes quite significantly sometimes not.

Up to you if you want to install one. I have a system on my Trol purchased by the prev owner but would probably not purchase one myself relying more on regular cleaning, maint and inspection. I am also led to understand the systems with more patches tend to perform better than ones with only two however that info was from a few years ago now.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Clunk (28th May 2011), NissanGQ4.2 (28th May 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a difficult one ?? I think i would worry that it is not doing the job so i probably won't part with the money.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1peter View Post
    It's a difficult one ?? I think i would worry that it is not doing the job so i probably won't part with the money.
    fisholine or rustrid make a good product to spray inside doors , panels ect
    put a good amount over a couple of weeks letting each coat go sticky before the next coat
    that stops rust before it starts being a liquide it gets in all the seams and drys off like treakle
    iv`e used it for all the cars iv`e ever owned ,and never had rust in any of them
    then you can put the panel / door covers back on
    long drawn out job but how much is your bus worth
    excelent in my humble opinion especially if you like the beach
    and it dont cost what they charge for the electronic cr@p
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked my old man if he had one and this was his reply:

Yes I have and in theory they should work. I am not sure about mine as it only has two pads on the body and I think it should have had four. It is hard to tell if it has limited the rust on the roof where the roof racks were

I know that they use them on buildings and other structures, but they are a much larger version.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ave had a little experience with these units. Some are cr@p and some are good. The thing to look out for is the quality.
    With good units each and every panel /chassis component is wire to the unit individually. The wiring needs to be completely seal in MINE SPEC conduit and heat shrink on every join.
    The common ones only wire every second panel (sometimes less) and then link the panels with a joining wire. Stay away from these units. Cheap, nasty, and a fail all round.

We have installed some of these good units on BHP and RT vehicles with good results. Then again, they generally aren't that rusty anyway. Maybe we should fit one to an ONSLOW SALT or DAMPIER SALT vehicle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be a good test.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it!

I say yes. It does indeed work. But be aware that the chasis will be protected by the rubber mounts preventing the current to get to it. It will do a fantastic job on slowing down the rusting process everywhere else. Also the more couplings the better. I have had the ERPS on mine from day 1 (8 couplings) and the body and panels are spotless after 10 years of beach a bush driving.
    You MUST regularly check your underbody regardless of which way you go. Exposed metal means rust potential so be watchful. Organic for the underbody and electronic for the shell works a treat.
    Good luck with it I'm sure they all make a good product.

TC