Thread: CRD EGR Block

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CRD EGR Block

Hi Gents,

I've gone through the forum extensively and it seems some CRD owners were ecu remap fix for the CRD CEL lighworking on a nont that comes with blocking the EGR.

To this day has anyone found an easy solution to the P0401 in the CRD? A remap isn't really on the table for me at the moment. I have an OBD2 reader and can clear the codes just fine, but surely there's an easier way by now!!

Just mentioning EGR on this forum makes me nauseous knowing how many times it has been covered over the years!

Cheers
    Brad
    Last edited by Mcflurry; 18th December 2018 at 05:19 PM.
    2009 GU

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about the engine light coming on after block??
    That's your motor thanking you for stopping feeding it exhaust fumes....

Honestly if your car isn't going into limp mode, then don't worry about it... The light does not alter anything at all, its really just a warning that somethings up in the EGR system.
    Just ignore it. I drove my CRD like that for years. It only popped up occasionally.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really it was just so the wife would feel comfortable. I'm not sure how well she'll take to being in the Simpson next year with the kids and an illuminated check engine light!!
    2009 GU

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from all my research about egr block on crd patrols ive rear that there needs to be an 8mm hole in the blanking plate to still let enough air past as to not set of the engine light.

im guessing you want a full block tho?
    still partial block is better than none id think and with a catch can there shouldnt be any build up of crud in the intake manifold.

if you want the light off put a 8mm hole in the plate and that will solve that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brad, first if you block EGR assy, best to do both ends. Use solid plates. Yes with remap, light can be prevented from coming on for EGR fault. FYI a postal remap, you can remove and send your ECU away and the cost is approx $750 + postage with a one week turnaround time).

With a solid blocking plate, the light may come on for first couple of weeks and understand it can pretty well stop as the ECU learns. I installed a manual boost control and plate for a fellow a few weeks ago and the light came on maybe 4 times very soon after install (first 5ks) and the did not occur for remaining time while setting up boost / spool (15ks). Not sure what has happened since with him.

Guess you need to get your wife's confidence and need to explain what is going on and how it can be cleared.
    Last edited by Bidja; 22nd December 2018 at 12:03 PM.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Plate with a 8mm hole is a waste of time. Why even bother then. I know it's better than nothing but you're still letting crap into your intake.
    There also have been instance where even with a 8mm hole plate , the might still kicks in as there isn't enough gases to trigger the sensor.

Just ignore the light, simple.

The only issue I see with going down this path, if the system develops another fault and you "think" it's just the EGR light , but it's something else.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why even bother blocking it, leave it as it was designed to operate.
    Been there done that and went back to the way it should be. Care free motoring after that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Buy a Scangauge... check the code and clear the CIL on the rare occasions you get a light.

Scangauge ( or equiv) pay for themselves 10 times over IMHO.

I wouldn't dream of running a modern engine esp CRD of any manufacture without one fitted.

The Scangauge on my Y61 and the Ultragauge I have on my Y62 are just awesome and I def wouldn't go remote travelling without one.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Hodge (22nd December 2018)