Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally done it - broke my TD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

finally done it - broke my TD

well, I have finally done it, broke my TD - in an unusual way as well...........
    sit back, get comfy, this is a long tail of stupidity and arrogance

I thought I had an oil leak..... possibly the rear main, as there was a nice little black oil puddle under my car, that was slowly growing over time

in Feb / March this year, I developed a problem while driving home on Tonkin Hwy (here in Perth) nice hot day, driving (as usual, like a Ferrari....) took off from the lights at Kelvin rd like a bat out of hell, then noticed in the corner of my eye, a lot of bad bad black smoke, I thought it was the clown next to me, until I started to hear a funny squealing noise, and realised it was ME pumping out the smoke........ bugga
    it was over 45*, about 4.00pm in the arvo on Tonkin at that time
    anyway, so I pulled over, and near on shat myself when I lifted the bonnet.......oil everywhere.........
    shit...........
    so I let her cool down a little, then put a litre of oil in her (all I had at the time.....) I knew she was leaking oil, I opened the bonnet, and found oil all over the place, so I thought I had done something bad...... so I thought a litre (all I had) would not go astray in helping it to get another 20kms home

so I waited until I could touch the rocker cover without burning my hand - righto, time to try it and see.......
    very tenderly started her up - ok
    moved off slowly (about 4.30pm by now, and traffic north was a lot less, at the moment)
    1st gear.... ok
    2nd gear .... ok
    3rd gear ....ok (maybe she is fine now)
    4th gear (90kms/h) faaaaaark whats that noise and smoke
    pull over switch off and stress even more.....
    faaaaaaaaaaaaaaark

ok, 10mins later, try again
    all ok, 1st gear
    all ok 2nd gear
    all ok 3rd gear
    get into 4th, keep it under 90km/h, all ok
    no problems, I'll do 85 in a 100 zone to get home.........

slow slow drive home
    get home, have a cuppa, and start stressing even more - what have I done, just what damage have I done............

anyway, Pooie cools down, I de-stress a little, and head to a mates house for advice
    we tried everything, and was only when the temp got to 100* and doing over 90 did it squeal and start belching smoke, and also running like it was on cylinders as well

best thought we could come up with, as by now we had checked the dip stick (what a radical idea....) and found she was over full of oil...........
    eh? tis leaking, and I have a shyte load all over the engine, and its OVER FULL?

worst case - o ring on front of pump leaking diesel into the sump
    but the oil does not smell like diesel...........?
    faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark

get her home and park her up, till I can think of whats happened........
    a couple of months later (funds are available) drop the oil and re-fill her........

10.6L for a TD42 you say............?
    try 17.5L
    faaaaaaaaaark

new filters, new oil, see what happens.......

drives fine
    well I'll be buggered, dodged a bullet there
    anyway, I've used her a couple of times, off road (mildly.... for me anyway) and even towed my 2.5T van a couple of time........
    all A OK

anyway, a couple of weeks ago (maybe about a month or 2) I was towing my Van up Greenmount Hill, and thought I had the handbrake on, or the one on the Van, so I stop and make sure
    nope, but she feels sluggish and no power.,, hmmmm
    get to the lights at Mundaring, and having a quick look around I notice some poor bugga has a car blowing smoke everywhere
    took off from the lights, and FAAAARK its ME blowing the smoke........
    pull over, un hitch the Van, slow creep home, and grab the other car............

spend a month looking at Pooie, and thinking, what the ferk have I done now

she is....
    running on 5.5 cylinders
    she is blowing smoke out the exhaust
    she is puffing (like a steam train) out of the filler cap

time to strip her down and re-build her I think
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

AB (17th December 2018), Avo (18th December 2018), GQtdauto (17th December 2018), mudnut (17th December 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahhh buggah mate, that's not good to read bud....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (17th December 2018), Rossco (17th December 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add....

I did think about a drive in - drive out engine re-build, but no-one is interested unless they get to spend $15000 of my money on shit that dont need doing, new turbo, new intercooler, new exhaust, etc

I did think about buying another Patrol, and swapping the motor - but they want top dollar for good engines, or run the risk of a 500K motor driven by a P plater and flogged to death already
    and also the thought of buying a nice GQ, and stealing the motor, then flogging off the rest, just dont sit right with me........

soooooooooo

and hints, tips, tricks I should know..........?
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,489 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugger Col, that’s not good at all ☹️
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That no good mate.

So, you think all that excess oil you had in there may have start of the end ??

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been looking for motors for the brother in law and there seems to be heaps around Brisbane , you just have to put up with the crap on faceache .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, Hodge, at first I thought maybe I had hydraulic'd her, then I realised that the sump gasket would have given way a long time before internal damage

at least I thought so
    I wont know for sure until after Chrissy, when I start to strip her down.......

I am thinking I may have put too much pressure on the rings, with the excess oil, and they finally let go

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bollocks I hate tales of woe like this, reminds me that such things could also happen to me.
    I’m confused as to what the current oil situation is in your motor Col, is it still over full?If so dropping a load out back to the correct level & then a gentle drive around until it stops smoking (hopefully) couldn’t hurt could it?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not good Col but you will rebound. There hav been a couple of trucks available here recently, but you just missed out I think. You should have got a 3 litre mate like mine. It still would have blown but you yould have been expecting it.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Avo (18th December 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, after she sat for about 3 months Cuppa, thats when I drained the oil, and cleaned out the oil filter holder, and found out just how much oil I had in her

I let her sit for another couple of weeks (to work up the courage to re-fill and start her)
    when I did, it was like nothing had happened at all, drove beautifully, slightly noisier (but that could have been because the stereo was now always turned off)
    did a trip up to Julimah forrest to cane it, to see if and thing could / would go wrong - nope, all good
    did a trip from where I live, up Greenmount hill to Brookton (via York) no problemo's
    did some mild off road, again no problems
    drove her a couple of times to work (150kms round trip) no problemo's

hooked her up to the van to go again to Brookton via York - bugga, she was cactii, real no power going up Greenmount (2nd gear sometimes......little old ladies in their honda's were overtaking me at 40km/h...)
    she started to get to 100* by the time I got to Mundaring lights, thats when she started to blow smoke, and rattle like a bastard
    so I thought, instead of killing her any more, I un-hitched the van, and went home for my Hunggy to keep going with the trip
    only runs on about 5 cyl, belching smoke out of the breather like a steam train, chugg chugg chugg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast