Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Catastrophic failures of Tow Ball Scales

Hi all,

In the last two weeks there has been a large increase in dangerous failures of telescopic style Tow Ball Weight Scales.

Some sections have been reportedly found up to 50 metres away if at all.

The chain of events is usually 2 to 3 hundred Kg download and the Scales slipping out from drawbars or ball hitches and/or having sufficient force to push the Draw bar sideways enough to burst out from underneath (even with the Van Brakes applied).

The inner section and spring then burst thru the retaining mechanism with immense force

If you use these style scales please PLEASE be very careful and preferably only use one constructed and certified to A.S.

Even then use extreme care and "unload" the scales using the jockey wheel before moving weight/repacking van/trailer.

Some of the failures have involved reputable brands so may have been operator error.

Disc... link is for illustrative purposes only... do your own research and sourcing
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOWSAFE-...o06:rk:15:pf:0
    Last edited by the evil twin; 16th December 2018 at 02:13 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (16th December 2018), GQtdauto (16th December 2018), Hodge (16th December 2018), mudnut (16th December 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good advice mate but could you possibly post a link to a safer and more suitable device for doing the same job?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tow hitch scales are a tad more agricultural, but used as I use them are, I believe, pretty safe. Basically I use a set of old hospital scales, a metal beefed up version of the average bathroom scales. They wouldn’t handle 300kg, but are adequate for the Tvan.

I have the jockey wheel down, wind it high enough to insert a length of timber between tow hitch & scales & slowly lower until the jockey wheel is only just off the ground. If for any reason the timber were to give way the jockey wheel is only a couple of millimetres away from saving the day & avoiding potential injury.

We only have a ball weight of 105 —110kg, but any sudden movement with even that could be nasty. 300kg worse!

Surely no-one would be silly enough to use any form of scales without the backup of the jockey wheel . ..... would they?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (16th December 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Good advice mate but could you possibly post a link to a safer and more suitable device for doing the same job?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Hiya Winnie... either your local weighbridge or this style https://www.caravancampingsales.com....scales-110152/

Load cells like the Reich aren't exactly cheap but they have the advantage of doing, ball weight, axle weight and your tow vehicle.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (16th December 2018), mudnut (16th December 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    snip...

Surely no-one would be silly enough to use any form of scales without the backup of the jockey wheel . ..... would they?
    I am led to believe thru 3rd hand info that at least one instance the drawbar moved sideways and the jockey wheel happily went with it, Boat Trailer handbrake was on (but most Van handbrakes suck, mine certainly do) road wheels were not chocked, old mate was shuffling some stuff around to increase load and... lurch... BANG!!!!

Scary shit when you think about it mate... The brand was a very well known one too, but in this case the events were started by the useage I spose. Still didn't stop the end result tho.
    I've seen the pics but won't mention the brand as I don't have first hand knowledge of the events, suffice to say we have been barred from using those style devices A.S. or not.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reich are around the $250-300 but coughing that up would be better than having a bit of brass fished out of your brain.
    Last edited by mudnut; 16th December 2018 at 06:56 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (16th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno about other states but in Vic VicRoads now provide free weighbridges in several locations throughout the state.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)