Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EGT Temps

Hi

First time post as I've just joined. I have a 2011 Patrol and have replaced the intercooler with a larger one from 4wd Systems in Adelaide. I'd like to know why my egt temps haven't dropped. The intercooler as a fan on the rear which also doesn't make any difference. I have plumbed it in to the standard Nissan intercooler plumbing and am wondering if that's the problem. Other mods done are egr block, 3 inch exhaust, catch can, dawes valve and a DP Chip. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Last edited by surfman; 16th December 2018 at 10:01 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate. So what are your EGTs like? Give us some scenarios? 500+ when pushed???

I had a 2009 CRD Patrol. I replaced my leaking factory IC with a dieslepower unit, and my EGT's all around have not really dropped all that much. Were talking 30-50 C drop around town and cruising. But where it helped the most was when car was being pushed and the new IC capped the EGT's to aroud 550 ish... Where as prior to that I could have pushed 650 easily.

The largest improvement in EGT's I have personally gained was from installing and properly tuning the Dawes and needle valves.
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and thanks for the reply. EGTs are between 350 to 450 when cruising around town and open highway driving but I live in the Hawkesbury NSW and when going home, which is up in the mountains, it'll easily get into the mid to high 600s. When I'm towing my Jayco Hawk home it'll get into the low 700s. Dawes valve is set to 16psi, apparently. Would increasing the boost lower the temps? If so, how do I adjust.

Thanks again

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you say "apparently" I'll assume you dont have a boost gauge ?
    CRD are known for reaching 600-700 out of factory easily.
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfman View Post
    Hi and thanks for the reply. EGTs are between 350 to 450 when cruising around town and open highway driving but I live in the Hawkesbury NSW and when going home, which is up in the mountains, it'll easily get into the mid to high 600s. When I'm towing my Jayco Hawk home it'll get into the low 700s. Dawes valve is set to 16psi, apparently. Would increasing the boost lower the temps? If so, how do I adjust.

Thanks again
    Yeah get some boost in there mate. These motors will easily handle 25psi. To increase your boost just wind in the Dawes valve. Putting more pressure on the spring. Increase it to 18-20psi atleast I reckon.
    I feel dirty saying the name of that valve now. Lol.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yeah get some boost in there mate. These motors will easily handle 25psi. To increase your boost just wind in the Dawes valve. Putting more pressure on the spring. Increase it to 18-20psi atleast I reckon.
    I feel dirty saying the name of that valve now. Lol.
    Trouble is , he will hit limp ...

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfman View Post
    Hi

First time post as I've just joined. I have a 2011 Patrol and have replaced the intercooler with a larger one from 4wd Systems in Adelaide. I'd like to know why my egt temps haven't dropped. The intercooler as a fan on the rear which also doesn't make any difference. I have plumbed it in to the standard Nissan intercooler plumbing and am wondering if that's the problem. Other mods done are egr block, 3 inch exhaust, catch can, dawes valve and a DP Chip. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Welcome to the forum mate. Drop across to the intro section any say G'day if U have not already done so and tell us a bit about yourself.

The info here (from me), is based on 08CRD with ECU remap, stock turbo, max B 22psi - not DP Chip. Your EGT are representative of running at 16psi boost with NADS. I prefer not to run EGTs above 650 for longer period of time.
    Larger coolers and improved induction can help with lowering EGTs and to shorten the recovery time after hauling, but even with your mods (excluding DP Chip), running higher boost is where you will mainly see a drop in EGTs but limp fault is the concern then from over boosting when hauling..
    From my experience, large TMIC, CC ultimate or JT cooler (cores 600x300x76mm) running 20+ max boost will drop EGTs (over nom stock IC) by 25-50 degC cruising @ <50% eng load and as much as 80-100 degC hauling @ 80-100% eng load. The issue for you is can the DP Chip run with higher boost levels above the stock 16psi? As Hodge mentioned, have you a boost gauge fitted or other means to read boost levels.

You need to ascertain weather DP Chip can operate with higher boost levels, there maybe a higher boost mod option available. I have no experience here. I have only ever had ECU remaps and when running a stock turbo ran Max Boost 22psi. To answer your question of how to increase boost, you wind the Dawes valve in clockwise incrementally(of which we can help), but first you need to to know if the DP Chip can handle CRD at higher boost and a means of measuring you boost levels..
    Last edited by Bidja; 16th December 2018 at 08:50 PM.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Trouble is , he will hit limp ...

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    Just keep winding it up until you do. The CRD's will go higher in boost before they hit limp before a Di does. He should see 18 -20 psi before limp mode kicks in. Thats how I used to tune all the 3ltrs that came to me. Wind them out unitl limp mode then back it off to just under that limit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Just keep winding it up until you do. The CRD's will go higher in boost before they hit limp before a Di does. He should see 18 -20 psi before limp mode kicks in. Thats how I used to tune all the 3ltrs that came to me. Wind them out unitl limp mode then back it off to just under that limit.
    Flat going or hauling with tow up hill(stock ECU)?
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Flat going or hauling with tow up hill(stock ECU)?
    Doesn't matter. Along a flat or up a hill towing. The boost will max out at the same point. Id usually road tune it on a hill though. As it would spool up faster on a hill too with some load. Spool rates can also trick the ECU thinking its over boosting, when its actually not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast