Thread: Portable fridge/freezer temps

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable fridge/freezer temps

What temps do you run your fridge/freezer on while you're away camping?

I've got a 95lt EvaKool fridge/freezer.

Thanks.

Ross
    Last edited by DX grunt; 6th February 2011 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Size does count
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    waeco 50 ltr on the third green light . turn off at night saves battery power
    as long as the beer is cold who cares lol
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    g`day Ross
    i run a couple of Engel`s 1x freeze and the other one at setting 3 never failed yet (thats put the curse on it i bet)
    how long before you go away ????
    Paul
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a waeco 40lt, in my old 4by I used to run at 3 degrees for fridge, -11 when I put it into freezer mode. While in freezer mode I made sure I would go for a drive atleast once a day, only for about 1/2 an hour or so, it seems to keep the battery topped up.
    Last edited by molongmick; 6th February 2011 at 06:41 PM.
    Cheers Mick

Everyone makes mistakes, the trick is to make them when no-one is looking.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    What temps do you run your fridge/freezer on while you're away camping?

I've got a 95lt EvaKool fridge/freezer.

Thanks.

Ross
    Ross is your bus set up with solar same as mine ????? yours ex telstra?????
    Last edited by nowoolies; 6th February 2011 at 01:14 PM.
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Roscoe... I couldn't find an Evakool 95 on their website so I am assuming it is an 85? Anyhow I'll treat it like the Waeco 85 I had as I am sure the setup will be similar.

(Edit - just realised your's is a Fridgemate, I was looking at the FF series)

1. Really important... Buy a temp gauge... I use a little round sucker that stays in the fridge was about $ 5 at the Reject Shop but you can get remote reading ones if you want from Engel etc. I now use 2 X 40 litre Engels (one as frig one as freezer) and that temp gauge is worth its weight in gold

2. I used to set my Waeco at approx -13 in the Freezer and that meant the fridge compartment was about +2 normally and + 4 (hottest). Use the temp gauge to keep an eye on temps and you will soon get an idea of where to have your settings in various modes.

3. Now, here is the biggest drawback to the dual zone frig's. Because the temp sensor is in the "Freezer side" and also that is the only spot where the cooler plates are as well it means the Freezer side is easily controlled but the Frig side temps can wander around significantly as you open and close the lid to get gear and also as you put new stuff in (say some more drinks etc). What happens is that you can put "warm" stuff in the frig side but the Freezer just sits there fat dumb and happy AND also you can put "new" stuff in the Freezer and if the existing stuff is surrounding the temp sensor then again the thing thinks all is OK.

4. To get around the issues what I did was as follows...
    Adding to Freezer - always put the non-frozen stuff on the bottom. Adding to fridge - always pull the top 1/2 of the divider out (or whole divider if it is one piece). Crank the Temp down a couple of degrees for an hour or so to get things happening and return to normal setting and replace divider.

5. If you are in and out of the frig a lot around mealtimes or with the Grandkids etc I found that removing the top 1/2 divider and placing a thin material cover of pretty much anything insulated such as heavy plastic, thin teflon board or that silver reflective stuff over the Freezer section worked wonders in keeping the Frig temp down, Freezer temp stable and power useage down. Obviously when the Frig is only under minimal use thats not an issue

6. I found the following made a big difference as well... as you knock over a tinnie or grab some drinks for everyone, replace them immediately to begin cooling rather than waiting and adding say 6 or 8 warm ones all at once. Again, the highest useage for me used to be around sundowners/tea time so I would take out the top divider at that time and pop it back at "last drinks".

Bottom line - You never want your Frezer sitting warmer than about -12 degrees for any extended time (I like to see -15 or so). Every frig type and indeed every user will have different patterns so the Temp Gauge in point 1 is the greatest tool while you get used to how your frig reacts to daily useage. You may need to be lower than that to get the Frig section temps down tho. Juggling the divider is up to you.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 6th February 2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (6th February 2011), Sir Roofy (7th February 2011), Wizard52 (16th April 2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey ET

Thanks for the info. It's a 95lt, came with a RC temp thingy and a wired one. It also come with a tinted perspex lid to put on top of the freezer, and the divider has holes in it for the cold air to get through to the fridge.

Both our cameras have flat batteries and are being recharged as we speak. I'll post some pics up in the next day or so.

Thanks for your help. Don't forget to write a book about your life's wisdom, knowledge and experience, before somebody writes your obituary. lol

Thanks again, mate.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    Hey ET

Thanks for the info. It's a 95lt, came with a RC temp thingy and a wired one. It also come with a tinted perspex lid to put on top of the freezer, and the divider has holes in it for the cold air to get through to the fridge.

Both our cameras have flat batteries and are being recharged as we speak. I'll post some pics up in the next day or so.

Thanks for your help. Don't forget to write a book about your life's wisdom, knowledge and experience, before somebody writes your obituary. lol

Thanks again, mate.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Cool Banana's...

Hey, ... Cool Banana's... Fridge.... Cool Banana's... get it?... I made a funny (well, up until Banana's hit $15 a Kilo anyway)

With those accessories supplied you have it all mate...

As for the book of wisdom it would be a pretty thin bastrd... now IF it was E.T.'s Book of Gutter Humour and Cracking Good Jokes I could write a Trilogy.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowoolies View Post
    Not yet Paul.

I looked into getting a solar panel but I haven't got a spare $900 - $1k for a 120watt panel yet.

I've got 2 x 35w continuous amp Anderson fuses that I really need sorting out this week so I can hook the fridge up for 'Travelling Mode"

I've also got a 750w generator that I'll be using during daytimes as a temporary fix. It only takes 200watts to run the the Evakool.

I'm open to any suggestions. U got any pics to show, for ideas?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowoolies View Post
    Here's my set up in the pod on the back

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast