Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spares for Y60 R28TD for a longer period in very remote areas

Cheers fellow Patrollers,

I'm preparing for a Transafrica overland trip. I will drive from Switzerland to Spain, then cross to Morocco and drive along the Westcoast until I get to Southern Africa. As patrols are not very common in western Africa, I have to take a set of selected spares with me on my travels. I'm driving a Patrol Y60 R28TD manual with new heavy duty clutch, brake cylinder, coil springs and I replaced some other small parts. My car is well maintained and I did not have problems so far.

What would be your selection of spares for a longer trip into very remote areas? What are the most common issues you encountered? But also take weight and costs into account when you think about the selection.

So far i thought about taking a set filters (oil, air and diesel), front wheel bearings, belts and break pads.
    Of course I'll also take a selection of bolts, screws, scrap metal and wires with me.

Excuse my English if there are any mistakes, it's not my native tongue!
    Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to an interesting discussion!

WhatsApp Image 2018-07-01 at 10.46.53.jpeg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would leave the brake pads out if weight becomes a limiting factor. You might take engine, gearbox oil, small tin of grease and a small grease gun, brake fluid, universal joint - GQ rd 28 has a small and large uni joint, so get one of each, fuses and even some fusable link material, check on the availability of the critical engine fuse/relays in the rh side covered area, at least 3 tubes, a spare unfitted tyre carcase, air pump, tyre levers and puncture repair kit, make sure you know how to break a bead before leaving home, solid recovery points, snatch em strap and a heavy duty ratchet strap in case you need to secure something that has broken like a control arm for example- 2000kg rated I would carry, exhaust airbag jack, wooden base plate for your mechanical jack, radiator hoses including a length to suit heater, spare fuel hose, say enough to go from the engine filter to the rear tank, as a bypass in case you damage a fuel line or tank pickup and need to draw directly from the fuel filler - remember there is a return line from engine to tank as well! I would consider a supplementary fuel primer device like the soft rubber bellows type used on outboard engines - could be very difficult to get moving if you cant prime the fuel injection system, spare headlight globes and globes all round, spare wiper blades. If travelling alone, you might consider some max tracks or traction board and a winch of some description, plus a tool set with at least 2 sizes of each spanner and combination open end/ring, plus standard and deep sockets. Hose clamps for each hose size, say minimum of 2 each, heavy gaffer tape and duct tape, cable ties especially thick heavy ones and go for the longer units as they can be easily cut to length, maybe a screen in front of the radiator to reduce insect blinding, a small length of vacuum hose as well. I had a 2.8TD and I took this on an extended trip into remote areas of Australia - never needed any of it, but it was there. Long handled shovel. Thats my list, hope it helps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (9th December 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liquid steel, maybe a water pump, 6m long jumper cables of correct rating, radiator leak stopper, fuel tank leak stopper if you are unlucky enough to puncture it, maybe a shocker for front and rear

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...hings-to-check

Since you are travelling in such remote areas I would suggest you take a torque wrench, breaker bar, a puller to suit the harmonic balancer and a timing belt kit. A copy of the service manual would be handy too.

As a precaution it may help to take one of those water purifier pumps in case you lose coolant. It would take an age to fill the system using one though.

Maybe a a complete front swivel hub kit. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Rebuild-Thread

An Epirb and satelite phone. Maybe a spare alternator if you can spare the weight. A sheet of rubber that can be cut to size to repair any bushes that fail.

If only one or two are going in the vehicle, there are water bladders available, that fit the passenger seat wells.

Have a great adventure and please post a link or thread with your trip report, cheers.
    Last edited by mudnut; 9th December 2018 at 02:21 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All excellent suggestions including the emergency communications, you've maintained your GQ which is important make sure all hoses and belts are good and if in doubt replace them and keep the old ones as spares , I keep some of these in the rear quarter panel accessed by removing the tail light assembly .
    No idea what conditions you will drive under but maybe think about a bulbar and at the risk of upsetting the alloy fans I'd be ditching the alloys in favour of steelies.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 752 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All sorts of belts, including camshaft belt + idle pulley and tension roller.
    Plunger pair and a few nozzle sprayers.
    Radiator's cup and a hose clamps.
    Few headlight lamps. All sorts of fuses, few meters of wires.
    A few rod arms end.
    Liquid gasket.
    Last edited by Wine_maker; 10th December 2018 at 03:16 PM.
    I'm Alexander and I'm the happiest owner of GQ Nissan Safari in the whole Central Asia

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of the above if added breakage weight safely permits mate but will say as previously kindly mentioned above a longish length of fuel line again. Used a say 4.0m roll myself again last year in the mountains for a stuffed rear main tank, externally plumbed and primed into the sub tank for home. Have gravity fed older petrol/gasoline donks off jerry cans higher too in a past happier now diesel life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (10th December 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for your great inputs!

Here is the list of stuff I already have:

Rescue Material:

- exhaust air jack
    - snap strap
    - tow rope
    - sand ladders
    - hydraulic jack
    - shovel
    - tyre puncture kit

Tools:

- Torque wrench
    - grease gun
    - set of wrenches
    - socket spanner and set of sockets
    - set of pliers
    - set of screw drivers
    - metall cuttung saw
    - locking pliers
    - hammer
    - set of files
    - tyre levers
    - set of allen keys
    - centre punch
    - sand paper
    - g clamps
    - jump leads
    - air compressor
    - air gauge
    - tyre wrench
    - metal brush
    - separating funnel
    - electrical testers
    - set of ratchet straps

Bits and Pieces:

- electrical tape
    - duct tape
    - assortment of wires
    - assortment of glues
    - instant fiberglass
    - bits and pieces of metal
    - electrical wire
    - assortment of screws, nuts, bolts and washers
    - assortment jubilee clips
    - assortment of hoses

Spares:

- tyre
    - tyre and wheel
    - oil filtes
    - air filters
    - diesel filters
    - fan belts
    - compressor belt
    - suspension bushes
    - coolant temperature gauge
    - front wheel bearings
    - light bulbs
    - oil (gearbox/differntial and engine)
    - assortment of fuses
    - brake fluid
    - rubber sealant for cylinder heads

Could easily be that I forget some parts!

So stuff which seems to be on a lot of lists but not so far on mine are:
    - camshaft belt + idle pulley and tension roller
    - breaker bar (how could I overlook that one!)
    - rod arms end
    - nozzle sprayers
    - sealants
    - front swivel hub kit
    - alternator
    - waterpump

Thank you again for the help! My list seems to be very long! But I'm planning on driving around very remote areas of Africa for a year or longer, but I hope I'm covering most issues I will have.
    If you have any input as stuff I can leave at home or stuff I really need to bring, let me know!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SwissPatrolY60 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (17th December 2018), PeeBee (17th December 2018)